1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lifted truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 99 z71Silverado, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i was wondering if anyone has or has seen a lifted plow truck(suspension lift). is this even possible without fabing up some sort of drop bracket? i already have a 3" body lift, but i like having a little fun in the summer but the plow bracket ruined my ground clearance.

2. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

oh yea also does anyone else have a body lift on a 99-02 silverado 1500

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I was kinda wonderin the same thing....I was looking at a 2002 Ford F-350 SRW, 7.3L Power Stroke, with a 4" lift and 33" swamper tires. I would probably take the swampers off and replace with a factory setup; but still dont know about the 4" lift??? :help:

4. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

All my trucks are lifted but I take the 35 in tires off in the winter. I know boss makes a kit to drop the plow mount low enough, they tell me the mount sould be about 15" off the ground and im at about 16.5" and it seems to work fine. With a body lift that wouldnt change anything because the frame is the same height as stock.

5. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

yes i know the body lift has no effect on the plow. i have a 8' western unimount. do you think a 4" lift would affect the way the truck plows or will i just look a little diffrent.

Greenscapes how much lift do you have on your trucks with the western plows?

6. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

I think my V-10 is about 3-4" Lift, it seems to plow just fine, but with my v-plow, if i plow alot in the "v" position it will wear the outer cutting edges more because the mount on the truck sits a little high

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I have a small suspension lift 2.5" on a 2000 f350 7.3 PSD. The stock Fisher setup works well with factory tires--I know it's not 4" of lift like originally asked.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This topic has been covered numerous times. Take a moment to do a search, there is a lot of info there already, as well as opinions from those who work with lifted trucks.

9. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

I had a 99 Silverado with a 6" Fabtech kit with a 7.5 Boss standard straight blade. It was ok, I had went to a steel suppy house a had them cut me some 1/4" plate and drilled the 1/2" holes in them just like the factory side plates for the boss mount, butt welded them to the stock side plates so they were "taller" worked perfect and was completly adjustable to attain the 15 1/2" height suggested by boss. The 6" lift prevented the quarters from getting hit by frozen balls of snow when windrowing. The only thing I had to get used to was the length of the truck, first ext cab I had with a plow. My first two plow trucks were standard cab short boxes, and worked at a const. company called Elmer's Crane and Dozer, which had the same variety of trucks (25+) all Chevrolet. Learned alot about what a snowplow does to a half ton shortbox....... (anybody plowing with a 99 silverado/sierra with a broken upper front axle frame mount?) I think GM came out with the fix for us. HD

10. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

what do you mean?? did you have old body style or new. im not sure about the old body but the new ones(99-02) have an indpentdent front suspension w/ cv's and the diff is mounted to the frame

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy has a 6" lift on his 1999 classic k2500 454 gas 7.5' meyer. I cut the ears off the plow. Then got a piece of 1.5" thick by 5" by 5" steel. And welded that to the frame then the ears back on to that. Works great. And he happend to test it for me in the first 15 minutes plowing this year. He smacked a man hole cover and thought he had ripped the plow off. HAHA nope. All the welds held (I went a little crazy with the number of passes with the welder) He also took the 33 mudders off and put on 33 all season tires for the winter.

12. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

99 Z-71- Im talking about the new body stye trucks 1999 model year only. in 2000 they fixed the problem by applying a round piece of plate steel behind the U-shaped mount that is welded on the inside of the framerail. (Top mount on front differential) From the torque of plowing in 4 low, the front axle (center section) tends to twist, thus pulling on the u-shaped mount and ripping it right out of the hydroformed section of frame.:mad:

13. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

itsgottabegreen do you have any pictures of this?? what did you do about the light/pump frame hook up?? were they able to swing up and connect still

14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Thats still 100% stock. That part just bolted right up. I had the mount bolted up and the pump wired in 1.5 hours. The chain was long enough on the plow and the hydro lines were just long enought to reach the pump. I will try to get some pics for you.

15. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

yea thanks if you could get a picture or two that would be great. im thinking about a 4" lift in the summer and i don't want to screw myself over in the winter with the plow
    -kyle

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Here's my opinon on this subject: Leave a plow truck at stock height, if you want to have a lifted truck, buy another one. You are going to run into headaches if you try to plow with a lifted truck without properly braced plow drop brackets. And if you try to lower them and don't brace them back to the frame further back, you will most definately bend or break someting upon striking an object hard enough with the blade, trust me, I've seen it happen.

In summary, a plow truck should be that, a dedicated plow truck. That said, I installed a body lift on my 1991, but it was more for ease of changing transmissions, transfercase, fuel pumps, etc. Body lifts do not alter the ride height of the frame, and I was able to use the next lower setting (still in the 'stock' range for Western's mount), due to going up to a 285/75 and some torsion bar cranking. The biggest concern here is that the A-frame remains level, and if need be that lowered mount be braced properly.

17. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

yea i wish i had the funds for two trucks- i would defiantly have a dedicated off road truck. the thing is i am only nineteen and i am just trying to get a happy median. I'm not looking for a crazy off-road truck. just looking for some more ground clearance to have a little fun in the mud

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Just run a set of 285's and a body lift for the summer, that'll do just fine in the mud, no need for a big lift, you wont gain any suspension flex with the IFS lift kits....

19. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i already have 305-70 bf Goodrich A/T and a 3" body. only have about 8" of ground clearance