1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lifted truck?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerseydrew, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

can you lift a 2015 GMC 2500 and still run a plow? are there mounts that accommodate the difference?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are no mounts designed to accommodate any lifted chassis. I have installed plows on vehicles with leveling kits but it's a pain in the butt; they only lift the front end a bit.... As I recall the maximum mount height allowed is 19" from floor to the top of the plow mount which on a GM is approximately to the bottom of the frame just behind the bumper.

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i could swear i have seen a "spacer" that goes between the truck side and the individual receivers. i cannot find them now but i thought i had seen them at some point.

4. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Ebay??? Would you trust something you bought on Ebay to put between a $5000 plow and a $60,000 truck? Just looking at the photo makes me cringe. Before you buy something like that take a 5 lb sledge hammer and hold it right up under the head but extend your arm straight out, that's what a normal plow mount feels like, then hold the same hammer at the end of the handle and try to extend your arm straight with the hammer straight too, that's what your truck will be doing with that extension. On big highway plows we install a thing called a cheek plate. It bolts on to the bottom of the plow mount way down close to the ground and then, like the cheek plates on an old Roman helmet, they extend back (about 4 feet) and then attach to the frame to act as a gusset. Even then when they hit a railway track of manhole these plates bend like noodles. Dropping your plow so low without installing something to prevent all that force from being exerted on the frame will certainly bend your frame and end up in disaster. If it was practical to do this Western would be selling them. If you want a show truck that needs a ladder to get in leave it as that, a plow truck should not be modified in such a way, that's just dumb.

6. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

10-4 Mishnick, great post.

[​IMG]]