1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifted truck with a plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, Apr 29, 2004.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Is it possible to do this i have a dodge ram 2500 rights now want to lift it and get a plow for it. I want to go with a 4 inch kit and 33 inch tires just wondering if its still possible to mount a plow on the truck and use if for plowing. Also whats the best plow to use for that setup. Its a 1996 dodge ram 2500 360 and a 5 spd trans.
    Thanks
    Evan

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

There is no best plow for that setup. Pick on that you like even though we all have our opinions on brands. As far as the lift, typically the plow bracket should be 15 1/2 inches off the ground.:waving:

3. killed300ex

so do you just fab up a spacer or bracket to drop down all of the mounts and such? IM kinda new at the whole plowing thing have only done it a couple fo times witha freids truck and want to get into it

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

yes, the plow frame will have to be modified to get it at the right height. for some reason i have seen alot of westerns on lifted trucks. do a search for this subject, it has been discussed on this site a bunch of times before. I think somepeople even posted pictures of the whole process. good luck and welcome to plowsite.

5. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

I plow with an '84 k-5 blazer. It has a 4" suspension lift with 33" tires. I dont have any problems with my set up. The plow is a 7'6" Curtis. When I had it installed the guy told me that it may wear the cutting edge down on an angle when the plow is angled. I have not noticed this,I have been plowing a commercial lot for 4 years and just put a new edge on half way into this season.Not sure if this will help with your set up, but it is possible to plow w/ lifted truck. Good luck.

6. cja1987

Did you get the plow recently or did you get it when you got the truck? Is the plow a hitch n run or an older mount. If its an older style mount what is it like? I have never seen or heard about curtis before hitch n run came out. Thanks!!!:waving:

7. killed300ex

i did some searchs and i think im just going to have some mounts fabed up and welded to make the plow mount sit parallel ot the ground. Might be a lil more expensive but i tink its going ot pay off in the long run.
    evan

8. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

cja1987,
    The plow is a Sno-Pro 2000. I got it 4 years ago when I started plowing.The plow,pump and motor come off as 1 unit and the lift ram and lights come off as seperate unit.When you put the plow on it has 3 holes on each side(vertically)where you can set height and the lights and lift ram go above that into 2 receivers almost like a hitch. 2 pins hold lights and 2 pins hold plow.You can also lift plow with a switch mounted on grill. Out of curiosity I went out to measure height off ground it is 15.5" off ground. And it does not look like any brackets were fabbed.
    Hey Boss any casting #'s yet.

9. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Why do you want to raise a vehicle you're going to plow with? What is the advantage? I understand the groung clearance if you're going offroad. Typically we go light with our plow trucks in the off season due to the investment in the plow and I want to get as many seasons as possible.

10. cja1987

ratplow408
    Thanks alot for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I'm tunning an 85 chevy k20 with 4 inches of lift. I'm using a newer western unimount, with the truck frame set at the lowest hole.

WIth a new blade the plow almost sits level. I use small tires (267/75/16) for the winter, and 35s in the summer.

I wonder if getting the new ultramount fram, and then the unimount adaptor, if you'd be able to lower the frame down a lot for plowin, then take it off easily for the summer?

Anyone else?

Otherwise, you may want to look into modifying the plow to get the plow mounts higher, so you don't loose ground clearance with the lower frame.

12. killed300ex

I am not going to be plowing alot like commercial lots ect just a few driveways me and my friends. Just for the fun of it. I dont have the time to do all out plowing due to school ect. but in the summer i do go offroading ect so i want some mild lift for bigger tires and i dont think that the amount i want to lift it would dasticly change the amount of damage to the truck due to the amount of plowing i do.
    killed

13. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

gpin
    My truck was already lifted before I got plow. I actually lowered it. It had 3" body lift and 35's. I dont see an advantage to lifting a truck for plowing it just happened that way. I do see a disadvantage to lifting too much, for sure.

14. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care Junior Member

I have a 6'' lift on my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD with 36'' tires and i have a 8'6'' western ultra mount v plow. the western dealer worked with me and took an extre set of the removable lower mount shackles on the ultra mount and welded them together so the plow sits the right highth when its on the truck. the modification only cost me and extra $200. but when i drop the plow i also take off the shackle by pullin a pin and then you cant even tell i had a plow on the truck 3 min ago. it was and extra $200 well spent.

15. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

With 4" of lift and 33's dont waste your money. Put the plow on the lowest hole and do it to it. If anything the slight angle to the blade will make it scrape better. A friend of mine had a bronco on 35's with 6" of lift and he was using a stock fisher frame. The truck wasnt a home made abortion a shop with extensive experience building trucks did the lift and let the plow frame fly as is.

Killed300ex
    I too like to play in the mud, I have an 85 chevy lifted 15" with 39.5 Boggers, my budy has a 75 lifted 18" with 44" Boggers, I even named my dog Bogger, they guy I mentioned above who had the Bronco now has an 03 2500 HD lifted 11" with 38.5s. You want to be sure you dont mix up your daily driver too much. A big lifted truck is nice off road but on road it rides rough, chews up expensive tires and it gets old driving every day. Also 4 wheeling isnt easy on a truck, I've laid under mine plenty of times in the mud, I've been flat towed home but it's ok I have 9 other trucks. If it's your daily driver it's the end of the world if your driveshaft is in a mud hole and you axle shafts explode. The guy with the 03 it's his daily driver, noone makes the right programmer to reprogram the computer for his tires without upsetting the abs, It's ruining a very expensive tranny and he gets horrible mileage. I've also thrown roostetasils through this guys new windshield. Just be craeful how much you modify a daily driver, I've seen a lot of guys go to far and regret it, If mine was my daily driver I'd have sold it already, and I have a year of work and over 20k in it. But it does what I built it for and thats it, so if I take it out and break it oh well, it's all in fun, I can still drive my regular truck home after I get towed to the garage. Remember the bigger your truck is the bigger the next guy has to be to get you out if you burry it to the rockers. Dont believe everything the offroad magazines say they're trying to sell stuff for the manufacturers who buy the ads in them, consult a mechanic who has experience building trucks before you do anything....just my .02$
    Casey

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  16. cja1987

Everyone has their ways of having fun but i see no point in off roading someone please tell me whats so fun about it. I don't like driving on bumpy roads with a bunch of potholes so i definately don't see any fun in driving through mudd. I go off road when i have to like the time i plowed off the ice on a lake in NH so my cousins could play hockey otherwise i see no point in it. Thats just my opinion not trying to bash anyone who enjoys off roading. 66 const. could not be any more right in saying to be careful what you do to your daily driver. Like any vehicle, you do have to find a happy medium with your plow truck/daily driver/off roading vehicle/towing vehicle, etc. Its not always easy you end up having to compromise in all areas when you start getting into ride height modifications and a plow. With that said i think killed300ex will be fine, you are not going to run into too many problems with the plow/truck/lift setup.

17. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Playing in the mud is awesome.... For fun and for competition. I was picked to go to the Real truck challege in Indiana 4 wheeelr magazine is putting on first prize is 1500 bucks,(I'll probably do more damage to the truck then the prize money will cover even if I win but its all in fun) not much but its a weekend of fun and you get to be in the magazine. To each there own, I just like to take my truck in 4' of mud stop in the middle of the hole and see how much deeper I can dig the ruts so the guy in smaller trucks sink to the rockers. I can go places in 2wd most trucks cant go in 4 wd, I just think it's fun....my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts but oh well.
    Casey