1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifted truck bad for plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jeremie444, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

Ok so i'm more or less just asking to see what other people are running.

My setup right now is just about complete, I just need to put my second push plate on and hook it to the plow.
    My truck is a 95 Powerstroke F-250 with a Dana 60 swap, reverse shackle kit and plow prep super duty springs, that comes out to almost a 4" lift over factory height. I'm putting a Fisher MM1 electric on it.

I'm noticing that the height of the push plate holes for the plow to hook to are pretty high.(20" off the ground) I was wondering if this will have any adverse effects on the operation of the plow. It's not like I can change it but im just asking to see what people have to say. i'll post pics when im done.

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

The plow may sit at a different angle when on the ground. Id be interested to see what others have to say, I have no personal experience.

3. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

I plowed streets for 4yrs with my f350 with 13" lift. I was pushing a 9' fisher mc. You want to make sure the a-frame is parallel to the ground when hooked up to ur truck plow down and whatever weight your going to use. I modified the a-frame on my plow. When done right can be just as reliable as stock

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I did the dana 60 swap on a '96 F250 a few years ago and used diesel springs with a third add-a-leaf. probably got about 4" as well over the stock dana 50. no issues.

just be sure A frame is parallel to the ground as mentioned.

as for plowing with a 13" lift - I gotta see a picture of that.....

5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

With a fisher plow it's no problem. Modify it like this and you will have no issue.

[​IMG]

That's how i did my a frame.

6. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

ok so attached is a picture of the back of the A frame of my plow, The pin for the A frame is in the lowest hole, if I move the A frame down so the pin is attached at the top hole will that give me enough clearance to drop the blade completely?

The blade is just about touching the ground now, but I can still feel that some of the weight of the blade is still on the truck. That's the reason for the blocks under the blade in the second pic only way to completely unload the blade weight.

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

7. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Adjust the length of ur chain so the plow completely rests on the ground with about 2-3" of lift pistons still showing. Then put the a-frame in whatever hole that will get it as close to parallel with the ground as u can. Then readjust the chain. When all is said and done when the plow is down on flat ground u want some of the lift piston showing so the plow can float with the surface u r plowing

8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

You'll definitely want to try the top hole and adjust your chain, but realize those are 2 separate issues. The chain needs to go slack when the plow is on the ground like Evil Diesel said. The A-frame needs to level/horizontal with the plow on the ground (not blocks). If the top hole doesn't get you there, you need to mod like GTmustang, I'd guess to a little less of an extent.

9. Jeremie444

Jeremie444 Junior Member

ok I will try to adjust the chain tomorrow. The only reason its on blocks in that picture is that I wanted to take the weight off the truck, not like it really matters but I always put the blade down when I shutdown/get out of the vehicle.