1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifted Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJM Landscaping, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Work truck or play truck??
    Pick one.

I'm not a big fan of lifted trucks used as work trucks.

Lifting a truck changes the drive line geometry which puts undue stress on the drive line and steering components.
    What weight ratting do the lift kit springs have?
    Most are softer, so the suspension can flex. ( have a lot of travel)
    Big mud tires are not good for plowing ether.

Lifted work trucks look juvenile,( portray a bad image) not good for a business.
    Why take a 1 ton truck truck and ruin it like that?

Go and get your self a Jeep or a 1/2 ton to lift and play in the woods and mud with.

I

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

My brother has a F350 Ext Cab 4x4 power stroke with a 12inch skyjacker lift.
    The truck was high to start with factory, but its so high now the bed is pretty much useless.
    I'm 6'1" and the tailgate is an inch below my shoulders, when its open.
    so as a work truck its no good.
    as a offroader it's good if you spend the extra money to complete the job.

I like lifted trucks, I also have one.
    There is a point when it's to much.

The reason to lift the truck is for taller tires so you can get clearance. but keep in mind bigger tires means more fuel and more stress on the axles and of course the expensive part changing gear ratios so you can run those big tires.

As a Toy or Road Queen there awesome, as a work truck forget it.

4. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

ok thanks mommy......all I wanted to know was if you guys thought the mount would still be as strong, not a lesson on why not to lift a truck.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There no reason you cant plow with a lifted truck as long as you drop the mount down to the recommended height that the plow manufacture specifies.You didn't say how much lift your thinking about but a 4 in. is no big deal, just lower the mount 4 in (which to do right will need some additional reinforcement) Although dropping the mount does defeat the purpose if your lifting the truck cause you need the ground clearance but if your just after the "look" of a taller truck then go right ahead and lift'er up! The last 2 plow truck's I've had had 4 in suspension lifts and I will never go back to a stock height truck as I like the look.

6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Depending on how high you want to go up, if you want 6 inch lift like the truck in the ebay link why not try like a 3 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift so you dont have to adjust the plow mount to much. Just an idea cause i have 2 friends who have just 3 inch body lifts on their F150s and they are look huge next to stock trucks. I have seen lots of lifted fords with BOSS plows that the frame seems to hold up pretty well with adding to the length of the mount.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  7. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

I was only thinking of a 3" or 4" lift. After talking to my boss dealership I should be able to get all the adjustment out of the stock mounts and blade.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your cool:rolleyes:

wow!! look at that truck:dizzy: