1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lifted F250

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelawnkid, Feb 15, 2005.

1. thelawnkid

thelawnkid Junior Member

I am going to be using my personal, and not my companies truck to plow with next winter. The only problem is that I am lifting the truck this summer, and I know that I could have some problems plowing like this. I want to lift it 8" and put on 38" parnelli jones tires. Is it possible to plow with the truck like this. What type of modifications would I have to make to the plow mount to make it work.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Sorry I cant answer your question, But I hope you will be beefing up your trans if you lift it, let alone put a plow on it. To many people lift their trucks up and beef up the engines, and then wonder why their tranny went. Just something else to think about ;)

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

IMHO i wouldnt do it. you will need to drop your sub frame at least a foot or more. you could run smaller tires in the winter for better traction but that still is alot of lift to have and still plow.

4. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

personally, i would never plow w/a lifted vehicle. my f 350 sits plenty high off the ground. just an opinion.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

IMO, I wouldn't do it but if you do, you will have to lower the push frame(truck mount). Also, make sure you do a ring and pinion swap so the gearing is correct with those large tires.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

You don't want to lower the frame mount, you raise the tabs on the
    a frame. Much stronger.

7. thelawnkid

thelawnkid Junior Member

MY tranny is almost gone already with no lift right now. I am getting a BTS tans this spring. The propane and a hot chip already pretty much destroyed the tranny. Does anybody have any pics of the a frame tabs that have been extended.

8. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care Junior Member

One of my buddies has an 02 chevy 2500HD with an 8inch lift and he has a Western 8 1/2ft MVP with the ultra mount which has the removeable shackles on the mount. the only thing extra he did was purchase and extra set of shackles for like $80 and spent some money on fabrication i think somewhere around like $100 and they made him a bigger drop shackle so that the plow still sits level. in all i think he spent less than $4500 total installed.

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Personally...I would go with a 2" suspension...and a 4" body lift.

10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i think lifting your plow truck 8 inches is the dumbest idea i've ever heard. :gunsfiring: :dizzy: :dizzy:

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i wouldnt lift a truck 8inches to start with, and i deff wouldnt plow with a truck lifted 8inches. what kind of truck is it? i would use the company truck to plow and maybe add a plow to the personal truck for a back up. glad to see more ppl my age plowing i thought i was the only 17 year old on here. if u have aim and wanna talk IM me @ f2504x4351 thats my screen name

12. Clean & Green

Clean & Green Junior Member

Before I bought my truck I was told by my friend I bought it from that his buddy tried pushing a small snopile with his truck (same as the one I bought but lifted 8 inches) and all he did was spin tires and go no where... The came by with my truck (bone-stock) and pushed it no problem... no wheel spin at all. Just my story.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I didn't know they got more than 1 inch or so anywhere in Kansas..... Go south from the OP about 5 hours and they get nothing but a dusting and rain.....

14. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I see it as 90% driver 10% truck. I had a truck with a 6" lift and it plowed ok. I also had 35" tires.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it's not- there is mechanics and physics to contend with ensuring it's not 90% driver.....90% truck 10% driver maybe....

I remember when I wanted a lifted truck... then I had one. What a waste.

16. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

My best friend and I drove the exact same truck to plow. There was a spot in this sears parking lot where we would have to creatively pack the snow. 9 time out of 10 he would get stuck in the pile. I got stuck once in four years. Now you try and tell me thats 90% truck and 10% driver.

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you're talking 2 different people plowing in exactly the same truck or two identical (exactly identical- something as minor appearing as worn tires or different tires makes a difference, even ballast or lack of.) trucks then that's the driver. When you're talking a stock height versus a lifter truck it's mechanics. Different tires or worn out tires versus new tires is mechanical. Minor differences in a truck have profound effects.

Experience counts alot in driving in general as well as plowing, but when you modify a truck to something it was not designed to be (lifted 8 inches for example) and attempt to use it under severe duty conditions (like plowing) you create a whole list of new stresses and conditions the truck encounters it never would have and in many cases was not designed for. This applies to the plow setup as well as the truck. Plows are designed to operate on stock height trucks- they are designed to operate at a certain relative angle to the surface being plowed. Raising the truck changes that angle to well outside useable rates. Extending the ears of the blade adds extra tortional forces on the blade that should not be there. You are adding (or increasing the legnth of) a lever at a right angle to the plow by extending it. Bad idea. Will it work- sure in some cases when done carefully and plowed carefully. Does that mean it's a good or smart idea? absolutly not. I'm not saying you don't know how to drive, I'm not saying you don't know how to plow. I'm not saying that about anyone. I'm saying mechanics of the truck play a big part when they are modified.

There is almost no need to lift a truck (especially more than 2 inches) anyway no matter where you live, no matter what you think you need the height for. Learn how to drive off road instead- it's cheaper and you'll amaze all your friends (as well as yourself) who think they need those 44" mud tires and the associated beefing of the truck to tackle a little mud or dirt. I'm no expert off road, but I know what I can do with my basically stock truck- and I've seen stock trucks go through stuff "monsters" couldn't simply because the driver knows how to drive.

18. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I was referring to the exact same truck. I can see your point. I am a firm believer that if you cant handle a truck plowing in its stock form, dont even worry about lifting it, that will only make things worse. I have given up the bullcrap of lifting my trucks. I have spent countless time, energy and money lifting trucks for really no reason at all. I figured that I went off roading maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I guess that if its going to see regular use off road than its worth it, otherwise, its a waste of time and money.

Tony