1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Valve O Ring Replacement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PlowGuyJerry, Feb 13, 2012.

1. PlowGuyJerry

PlowGuyJerry Junior Member

I have an isarmatic mark IIIa lift control. I removed the lift valve and am trying to replace it with the O rings seated properly. However the first O ring (closest to the shuttle) gets destroyed every time I insert and then remove the lift valve. Apparently it's getting mangled as I install the lift valve because fluid leaks after installed. I have tried a replacement lift valve (also nylon like the original) and I've ruined 5 O rings. What is the trick to get it in there without destroying it? Help please!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did you double ck the seat to see if theres not a burr in there?? or maybe a sharp edge?
    if you've gone through 5 o-rings somethings arye...need to dig s little deeper then the o-rings being the problem.

3. PlowGuyJerry

I have looked into the channel with a tiny flashlight and there appears to be an internal smaller opening with a squared off shoulder the O ring is intended to enter. Am I really the only one to ever have this problem? So yes I would say that corner edge is ripping the O ring away from the valve. I've tried oil, grease, twisting, screwing and popping to get it seated cleanly without any luck.

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Are you using the proper size ring? Have seen many kits come with the wrong ring, if your getting them individually maybe its a little to large. The ring should fit in the groove tight and just sit above the top of the groove a couple of thousands.

5. PlowGuyJerry

Hmmmm - good idea. The replacement o rings were not even packaged. Dealer told me he had extras left over from other parts kits. I didn't know there would be similar sizes. I'm going to a different Western dealer today with an original o ring and will get an exact replacement. Will let you know.

6. PlowGuyJerry

I have never worked on a plow lift before so don’t take anything “for granted”. I put on the new O washers and screwed the lift valve all the way in until flush with housing. With the cable disconnected I push cab control lever forward - the electric motor engages and there is NO leak. I attempt to adjust “valve lever” per instructions and it never hits a stopping point “1/8 to ¼ inch from bottom of housing” regardless of lift valve position. I give up and hook the cable back to the valve lever. I need to unscrew the lift valve until the first thread is visible at which point the plow lifts properly and also drops nicely. However the lift valve is so loose now that fluid squirts out whenever the electric motor runs. What am I doing wrong?