1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift ram and other question..

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nymustang50, Jan 13, 2010.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Alright just got my first of my own plows working. I'm used to using other(company equipment) so its a 7'6 unimount pro I want to change the fluid and screen and it seems the lift ram is leaking what the part numbers for the screen/filter thats inside the motor and what fluid should I run? Also how do I go about fixing this leak I have on the lift ram and another question is whats the appropriate slack in the lift chain should there be or how high should the plow be from a reference point?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you want #49276 pump install kit. filter, gasket, oring, and 2 new bolts for the pump. #49311 is western oil. 2 quarts.

use a big crescent wrench and tighten the gland nut.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

As for the slack on the chain.After your done changing the fluid, and getting the air out of the system, make sure the lift ram is completely down. Pull the chain up as far as you can, and hook it in....

4. nymustang50

Now I just got to find somewhere I can buy that pump install kit..

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i can ship you one.

6. nymustang50

how much then. my zip is 11757 all I need is that I can pretty sure get the fluid locally..

7. twinman326

I see you live in L.I..I also use to live there.

Here couple of place you can try

Dejana Truck & Utility
    743 Park Avenue
    Huntington, NY 11743
    Phone: 516-549-0944

Or

Trius, Inc.
    458 Johnson Avenue
    Bohemia, NY 11716
    Phone: 631-244-8600

Actually, if the screen is in great shape (no tears) I would just clean it..I use break cleaner to clean the screen and the inside of the housing. Then I use a air gun (others call it a blow gun) to blow the housing out (leaving the drain plug off), and blow the screen out. Also keep in mind, you should disconnect the for the rams (look at them before you take them off) off the manifold, and push the plow to the right to push (slip a 2x4 under the blade. make it easy to move the blade) the fluid out of the ram (use a plastic milk container) into the container, then take the left hydraulic pressure line, put it into the container and push the blade to the left. After your done pushing the fluid out of the rams, re-hook the pressure lines back to the manifold (remember how you took them off) to their original place.

Make it easy, here is some info, and the link to the pdf (owner manual)
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/63097.05_060105.pdf

Info

ANFC33.jpg

ANFC.jpg

ANFC22.jpg

The ATF fluid would be better for you because L.I usually doesn't get below 20*. Or you can use the "Blue hydraulic" fluid

ANFC.jpg

ANFC22.jpg

ANFC33.jpg

8. twinman326

U live in lindenhurst?

9. nymustang50

Yup.. Whats this Blue hydraulic fluid you speak of?

10. twinman326

Some like the ATF, and some like the blue....The blue hold better in cold weather..Doesn't break down as fast..

I use to live there..

If you don't want to wait, you can give those places a call or stop down the one in Huntington to get what you need.

Dejana Truck & Utility
    743 Park Avenue
    Huntington, NY 11743
    Phone: 516-549-0944

11. nymustang50

Yeah thanks I will give them a call for sure.. They carry that blue fluid? And yeah I live by 109 and sunrise right on Centre ave.

12. twinman326

The blue hydraulic fluid you should be able to get in any auto part store..

I use to live off of hamilton ave..

Let us know how you made out.Also download the PDF file and hold on to it..

13. nymustang50

Can I use a Ford starter solenoid instead of the western motor relay or will that not work?

14. twinman326

The relays are not the expensive, between 15.00-25.00. The place in Huntington should have them. I would call them. I wouldn't use a ford solenoid.

15. nymustang50

What series of bulbs should/are used in the headlamps of the western unimount plow? Are both parking/turn signal bulbs both 1157 or 1156?

16. twinman326

1157 are the bulbs for the signal and parking.

How did you make out so far?

17. nymustang50

Good changing the fluid tomorrow.. Work got in the way today.. Guess that sucks when you work for a tow truck company you can be busy at all the wrong times of the day..

I might how ever have to buy new parking/turn signal lamp sockets for the bulbs.. I'll mess with it more tomorrow in my spare time.

18. twinman326

not that hard to replace.....

19. nymustang50

Will see. I hope so.