1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Question

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by misanthrope, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Would a 2" lift be an issue with a snow-way st plow? My front springs are tired so i was thinking of going up a little....idea's comments....

Stock 98 TJ
  2. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

I lifted the front of my XJ with v8 ZJ springs, and gained 2 inches of lift. But it raise my carrage 2 inches, and created a problem with strait plowing. I had to lower the front end back down to get it to push snow properly again.

measure your carrage to factory specs and see how far you are off after you lift it. 2 inches on mine made a huge difference.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All snowplows have a maximum height requirement. Your snoway is 9.5" to the center of the lower pin holes. Exceed the max. height and the angle geometry gets out of wack. For a simple rule of thumb the a-frame should be parallel to the ground. OEM ride height replacements would be best. If you have a three hole nosepiece you could lower it to counter the lift.:waving:
  4. muddy00

muddy00 Member

I have a 4" lift with my blizzard 680 I had to make adapter brackets. I have it for sale if you need a complete setup.
  5. Thanks for the input guys...I'm in the prosses of buying some rubicon rims and tires with about 80% tread goodyear mt/r's...i think they will give me the little bit extra that i need....currently my tires are bald.
  6. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a 2" lift and have Snoway. Never really had problems plowing.
  7. just tossed on my rubi rims and tires... looks great... I might toss on the hardtop this weekend....might try to hunt down some new front springs...still not liking the sag in the front...
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

For about $80 you can throw on a pair of air bags up front and your sagging problems will be gone.

Airlift 1000 Bags
  9. I think i have a compressor in the garage for those......do you need a air tank as well...
  10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Actually you don't need either, they come with schrader valves and air line so you can fill them up with a regular tire chuck. You can locate them in an easily accessible place for easy pressure changes. Here are some pic's of what I'm talking about.

11. no shyt...nice...that's sweet.
  12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You aren't kidding my XJ rides like a cadillac.........with solid axles.
  13. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I second the air bags. I tried Timbrens up front
    and they gave a kidney pounding ride. Yanked
    em off after one season and went with AirLift air bags.
    No worries after that.

14. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I had the airbags first, They ended up leaking all the time, replaced them with the Timbrens, no problems since. I have the Rubicon wheels and tires also on mine with no lift so when the plow was on it, I'd hit a bump in the road and the tires would hit the fender flares. Not since putting in the timbrens, holds it up nice.
  15. Is the fill for the bags on the bottom of the bag?....I think it would require drilling correct?
    I had tim's on my K5 ..... they were ok but was looking for other options....I think i might go with the bags...... Bruno how were the goodyear mt's in the snow....this is my first set....they have about 3/4 tread left....
  16. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Sure enough the Timbrens kept the front end
    from sagging, but the kidney pounding ride sucked.
    Not as bad when installed in pickup trucks for some
    reason, but in a Wrangler those suckers make the
    ride way too stiff.

I've had the airlift brand airbags on for two years without
    a leak. My Jeep has a 2" lift. We mounted the
    valve on my front bumper. Drill a small hole and
    you're in business.
  17. brunosplace

I had no problems with traction with them, they are just loud as h--l, I got new tires a few days ago that are less aggressive tread, but the same size, what a difference!! I can hear myself think when I am driving around!!
  18. brunosplace

I hid the valve under the hood on a bracket I made so it wasn't seen or damaged.
  19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use gabliel air shocks up front. pump them up for plowing let the air out for street use.
    In my YJ for the front air shocks, I used the same shock as the rear air shocks in a 1985 thunderberd. Easier to install than bags and not as hard riding.

The plowmeister
  20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

This is a test