1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jhenderson9196, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

2 year old VXT. Every once in a while I have to tap the raise button more than once to get the plow to lift. I can hear the solenoid click on the first tap but the motor doesn't run. All other functions are normal. I pulled the motor cover. Everything looks like brand new. It's the later style with the ground on the motor. All the grounds seem good. All are clean and have dielectric grease on them. I paid particular attention to the lift cartridge. I don't think it's the controller sense I hear the solenoid click. Any other time I've had a lift or angle problem on a Boss it's always been a ground issue on the particular function cartridge. Any ideas?j

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure the power connector is clean. Change out the solenoid with a new one or one from truck that does not have this problem. If you have more than one truck and plow put it on a different truck and see if the problem stays with truck or the plow.

3. BossEric

BossEric Member

Hello , As Maxwellp has stated, I'd check all the connections. Battery ,Pump, solenoid, and controller.Have someone help you and test the solenoid to make sure power is passing through when you use the controller . Even if you hear the clicking the draw could be weak.

4. jhenderson9196

All the functions run through the solenoid. All other functions work properly. As I said all connections are clean, including the 13 pin plug.

5. BossEric

BossEric Member

jhenderson, Does your problem still exist?

6. jhenderson9196

It still existed when I parked it Tuesday night. It's an intermittent problem. Maybe only several times a storm. I just don't want to have it quit when I need it, although that will make it easier to troubleshoot. I'm leaning towards valve obstruction or coil.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was having a similar problem with my v a few weeks ago. Solenoid would click but the plow wouldn't move, you'd have to hit the button a few times before the plow would move. Put a new solenoid on and been good ever since.

8. jhenderson9196

Was that all functions or just the lift?

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Lift and sometimes the drivers side wing. Sometimes it worked perfect, other times it just clicked but the plow didn't move until the I commanded it to one or more times then the plow would work.

10. jhenderson9196

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.