1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift problem- Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by srl28, Dec 28, 2012.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Was having trouble with one of our 8' straight blades last storm. Loose power cables seemd to be the problem so I bungeed them tight and the plow worked fine. Went to take the plow off the truck at the end of the storm and I cannot get the plow to lift. I have left and right angle but when I push the up button on the controller the pump runs and seems to actually push the plow down, not up :dizzy: Tower (hooking up and disconnecting) works fine and like I said so does both angles. Pushed the button last night for lift and the motor just ran, to the point where it looks like the connection on the power cable melted a little. I've searched other threads and Boss' troubleshoot page but cant really seem to find just what this is. Storm coming tomorrow and I need this truck out there :help:

2. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Call 'em...they will get it figured out.

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Didnt come up with too many answers when we spoke to them. However, after wiggling the power cables and plug I think that its just loose or worn down. Once you wiggle it an find the "sweet spot" it works fine. So I've got it bungeed for now to get us going, hope it stays a while.

Another odd thing though was when we were trying to find said "sweet spot" where the plug was connected just right, if you hit the up button the plow would push down, not pull up. It would actually push up on the trukc some. Not sure what thats all about.

4. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Back to this crap again!- Plowed todays storm fine, hooked up fine, ran the entire time without a single problem. Last property I drop the plow and hit a rock in the unpaved driveway, hit pretty hard and it clearly jolted the plow. Wont lift, just goes left and right and when you do hit the raise button it pushes downward, as if it is trying to lift itself from the unmounted position to the mounted positon. I found that if I put the controller in float and hit the toggle switch on the tower to mount/dismount the plow it will fix the problem. Seems like that toggle is very loose or something isnt right and when it gets jolted and shook around it messes things up. Anyone else ever have that? Thinking I'll replace that button and see what happens. Seems pretty intermittent.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's needs a new Smart Hitch switch. It's shorting internally and triggering the SH valve which will cause it to push up on the tower (same as when attaching) instead of lifting.

6. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

^^ Thanks! Thats what I figured out to be yesterday. Ordered a new switch, which comes with the wire leads. Once I get it replaced I'll let you know how it goes. Appreciate the help

7. JScharp 7675

JScharp 7675 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Reset all the relays. I had this happen. Check the two wires that run from the soleniod to the relays.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Replaced the switch including the wiring that came with the switch. Switch was definately part of the problem but I think I need to replace the power/ground cable. If I operate the plow while holding the red power wire where it mounts at the truck I can operate it just fine (this is why I usually bungee this part to the bumper or something).

Went to look for a replacement wire and they sell a 96" long and 32" long one I believe, maybe one more length not sure. Not sure which I have but I think I'll be replacing that next.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're almost there then. Either replace the power cables entirely, replace the ends with Anderson's or at least spread the pins on the existing ones and you should be good again.

FYI the shorter cables are the plow side, the longer ones are the truck side.

10. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

They both said truck side the long and the short ones. Must be what you said though that makes more sense. I think I'll replace the entire truck side when the switch was shorting it melted the plug

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here I'll provide you with the actual p/n's so you're sure you're getting the correct ones without question.

HYD01690- plow side
    HYD01684- truck side

12. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Much appreciated!