1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Plow Truck Engine Stops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by l306x, Oct 23, 2006.

1. l306x

l306x Junior Member

Anyone ever had this ? I try to lift or tilt my western plow and the truck engine kills the truck is a 88 gmc 1 ton
  2. plowin101

plowin101 Junior Member
    from ohio

Sounds like a weak alternater. I had the same problem with an 86 Ford 1 ton.
  3. l306x

l306x Junior Member

can it be a bad plow motor? pulling too much power so the truck stops or would you say it is a alt.?
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check the power leads running to the plow. years ago i had the positive lead shorting out causing the truck do die.
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

killing your motor?

Remove, clean and reinstall your battery cable leads. you have internal corrosion on the terminals. It helps to use the little red and green felts under the terminals, but only after you have removed the cables and wire brushed them clean on the inside of the terminals as well as the battery terminal posts.

You can get a dual purpose wire brush, one side for the internals of your cables, the other side for your battery terminals for about four bucks. Then you can top the negative and positive terminals with a good anti corrosive battery spray.
  6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Go to a 130 amp alternater they dont cost that much or you really cant afford a break down.