1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift piston

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowinzr2, Jan 5, 2007.

1. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

ive got a 6'9 fisher mm1 with the newer 3 plug set up. my question is can i use a longer piston to bring the plow up higher? if so whihc one would i use. ive already tried adjusting the chain and when i do the plow wont have enough slack to drop down when i do small ramp entrances, so my other idea was to actually use a little bit of a longer piston?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I put the RD lift pistons (10") to replace the 6" LD lift pistons. You will have to make your chain longer though since the lift arm will only sit just below level when down all the way. It will add more lift but you have to check other things like plow light clearance and to see if you are hitting the stops on the bottom of the lift frame with the a-frame.

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Most Minute Mounts have a stop bracket attached to the bottom crossmember of the lift frame, this will prevent the plow from going any higher, the A-frame typically comes in contact with these stops at the top of your lift. In order to gain height you will have to modify these stop brackets and install a higher cylinder.

4. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

i kno about the stops and i dont think it comes close to that, but if it does and those stops hit before the piston is fully extneded will it ruin sumthin and will i have to upgrade my fluid resevoir?

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The pump is the same, you will not need a bigger resevoir, you will just use a bit more fluid. The stops are there to stop the cylinder from fully extendng, so you won't hurt anything but they may prevent the extra lift you are looking for.