1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift piston pin failure

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bubajuk, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bubajuk

bubajuk Junior Member

Finally got out this year w/ my brand new 8' SD straight . Worked about 2 hrs. and suddenly couldn't't lift the plow. Get out to find the piston flapin in the breeze, pin gone! What the F?! Thankfully I remembered i had a hitch receiver pin in my tool box (I don't even have a trailer ) and it was perfect, like the F'n thing was made for it. Perfect length and diameter,un-F'n-believable. Back to work in 5 mins. What should I tell the dealer? I'm still kinda pissed that even happened.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt the pin actually broke before it dissappered. More than likely the retaining clip fell out first and then the pin just worked it's way out.When you replace the pin, use a "lynch" style retaining clip to hold it in.The "hair pin" style clip's aren't nearly as reliable.

3. bubajuk

bubajuk Junior Member

I didn't mean to imply I thought it broke, I'm sure it just worked out. If I wouldn't have had the replacement I would have been livid.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

missing pin

i can till you from experience they do not tell assemble the plow that the lower pin needs to be inserted from the shoe stand side put the hair pin (or) Lynch pin on then if they come off its from snow and ice.if the clip comes off then the pin is retained by the stand.one of the things you run into when you sell and install them.