1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Kits and Plowing

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigdeezle442, Oct 17, 2009.

1. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

What are you guys doing with lifted plow trucks? I only have one truck and put a 6in lift kit in it. Planning on running the same tires that I ran last year(stock size). Haven't put much thought into it but with snow on the way I think its time. The truck is an 01 Chevy 2500HD, CCSB, and a Duramax. Plow is an 9'6" Xtreme V SS. I am in the middle hole and the other adjustment is in the lowest setting. Will I have enough adjustment? There has to be some who is plowing with a lift kit. Pics would be really helpfull. Thanks

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use the search button, you should find some reading. I think Got-h20 runs lifted trucks. You are going to require serious mods to your push plates to make it work. You will need to drop them close to six inches.

3. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

this is not completely true...I run 315/70/17's (34.5") with a 4" SuperLift on my 2006 F250. The stock tires were 265/70/17 (29.5). So do the math, the tires being 4" higher means 2" of lift, so 6" total. The only thing I had to adjust was the A Frame mounting holes, went from bottom to top holes. I havent had any issues mounting my plow (I do have an 8" tall cutting edge) so that makes up the difference of the 3"s fixed by the pins being placed in the top holes. My A Frame sits pretty damn level when the plow is mounted on truck sitting on ground...No problems plowing at all, last truck had 3" lift, again no problems..I will see if I can round some pictures up...let me know if ya got anymore questions, I'll help ya anyway I can...good luck this winter!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A couple of differences. He already said he is at the middle hole, so he only has about an inch and a half there. 8" inch edges are not available for the XV. BTW, what are you going to do when your edge is down to 4"? And, the A-frame on the XV has to be dead level. Your straight blade is a little more forgiving.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And 35's! :D

Agreed. ESPECIALLY with a V. A level a-frame is critical with a v plow. No matter how high or low the mount or truck is, the a-frame has to be level.

I run Ultra/Uni conversion kits with mine. They allow for a significant amount of drop. The Fisher's mounting is different, but nothing that can't be handled with some knowledgable fab work. I've done a handfull of others. Boss' and Blizzards are easy to fab. I'd have to see a Fisher mount in person to say for sure how to do it, but anything is possible.

6. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Another thing to thik about is possible modifying your A-Frame to drop down lower, perhaps another hole? May be alot easier than dropping the pushplates on the truck if its possible.

You would be changing pressure angles into the truck's push plates, so additional welding re-inforcment may be necessary, but if your pushplates are anything like mine, welded, gusseted, welded again, you wound't have much desire to try to move them.

Something to think aout, not sure if its possible on your setup or not. Have to look.

7. T&M SnowMan

My cutting edge doesnt get down that small (4"), I weld 1' thick steel on the back side of the cutting edge, about 16" strips (1 on each end), and cut the angle on the bottom of the strip to match the angle on cutting edge...edge lasts forever..(well a long damn time for you guys that want to get technical...lol)...as for the XV...I have no idea what blades are available for the XV package...I dont have one...he asked what other guys out there are doing with lifted trucks....I told him what I am doing...maybe its not applicable for him, but the chevys/gmcs are lower then the Fords anyway...maybe your right with my blade being more forgiving, where his is a V he probably needs to be damn close...he can have a bracket extension made for the A Frame hook up with an additional hole on top to mount, theres 1.5" back.....BTW I also use my plow shoes to keep from wearing to quickly...keep it just above where the cutting edge rests...been there 2 years and havent gotten to the shoes yet...!!!

edit:....lol...didnt see last post mentioned adding hole to top of a frame bracket...so I will just echo the statement..lol

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  8. bigdeezle442

bigdeezle442 Junior Member

I was looking at what I would need to do this afternoon and I don't think it will be that bad. Adding additional adjustment holes on the a frame seams(to keep the a frame parallel to the ground) to be the easiest way, and just extending the chain. I am going to run the idea by my father to see what he thinks. Thanks

9. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Gotta have some beast welds for that cutting edge

10. T&M SnowMan

layer welds, not a big deal, my father and grandfather always did it too....the front of the cutting edge is doing all the work...the strips layed on the back are only there to slow wear...I said before as well..cut the angle to be flat with ground while the plow is sitting on the ground...

11. schnikies

schnikies Junior Member

We made a reciever that plugs into the minute mount push plates and has another reciever under it basically a drop reciever it works good that way you dont loose ground clearence and the look