1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift kits and plow trucks.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Omaha Plowboy, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I'm thinking about a 2" body lift for the plow truck. Any thoughts ??? Thinking of going with dual electric fans instead of belt driven stock fan. Only reason is I have a 2" body lift in my closet that will fit the plow truck. Originally bought for my daily driver K5, but went with a suspension lift instead.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A "2 body lift won't affect plowing. Might be a little harder to see your blade but not much.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I had a 3" body lift on my 94 2500 with a meyer 7.5ft. It was one of the better things I did, IMO. It put the radiator higher in the air, so the truck never heated up after that and deep snow wasnt as big of a deal. That and I could fit 285's with no problem at all:D

4. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Already have 33x12.50x15 Mud Kings on the plow truck. Had too do minor fender trimming up front, but had no problem cutting some rust out, LOL.

5. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

If you already are running 33's then put 'er on. Better clearance for those meats and a much nicer ride height IMO.

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Who keeps auto parts in their closet?

Oh wait, you must not be married. We have a 14 foot long closet with his and hers folding doors. Care to guess whose clothes take up more than 75% of the closet? And two bureaus?

I like plowing with lifted trucks. Much better visibility, looking down over snowbanks to the side and so forth.

7. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

My first plow truck back in 92 was a 78 chevy 3/4 ton with 4" suspension & 3" body lift & 36" TSL SX Super Swampers ,Detriot locker in rear & a Posi in the front, 4:56 gears & slightly biult 355:nod:
    That thing was a plowing beast .
    The truck sat so high that I did not even run plow lights & It did have good air flow to the radiator.
    I was able to stack snow way taller than the truck & would actualy use the snow pile as a ramp & climb up them to stack even higher:D
    When pushing snow back at drive way entrances & accidently went in the ditch several times , no problem just drove right out.Although I did get stuck from time to time.

I ran that truck until the body rusted & fell to the frame:cry:

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i dont see the point in a body lift. lowest part on the truck is the frame. your not moving the frame just making the truck harder to get in and out of and load things in the back of. im all for a small suspension lift or taller tires but a body lift.. i dont see the point unless your just trying to make room for the taller tires.

9. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i put a body lift on my truck this summer, mainly so i could put bigger tires on. When i put my plow mount on, i didnt have to trim the bumper at all. It raised the body up enough that it fits perfect with no trimming. Gm's sit so low to the ground as it is anyways, im glad i did it.

10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I say go for it! A 2" body lift won't hurt a thing. It will give it a little more clearance in the deep stuff.

11. Detroitdan

12. lncdunlap

lncdunlap Junior Member

plow pick up

i have an 03 1500 reg cab with a 6'' lift could i pick up a plow off the ground that is off of a stock pick up truck?

13. Detroitdan

The problem would be more like the plow won't reach the ground. Actually it probably would have that much extra droop, but it would change the angle somewhat so you were cutting in a little sharper. Some people think that's a good thing. I always plowed with 4 inch suspension lifts on my old Chevys, put the (conventional) plow on it's lowest setting and the blade angle was real good. Never seemed to make it trip excessively.

Bear in mind your lift is already hard on the suspension and handling charecteristics, a plow isn't going to help that. I'd use the lightest plow possible on a 1500, you'll need good markers on the end because you won't be able to see the blade. I don't know what you plan on running for tires, but whatever you put under thatt lift is probably not ideal. Plenty of people plow with 12.50 rubber, but it is not ideal, allows for a lot of spinning and poor traction on slick plowed surfaces. Great if you want to drive on deep snow, but think about it, you are driving behind the plow that is clearing snow. A narrow, aggressive mud and snow tire is better. I always had a good set of 265/75s on stock rims for winter, saved the 35s for summer.