1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Schrodare, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Schrodare

Schrodare Junior Member

Hey lads

This season coming up I want to use my truck which is 97 Chevy 1500 4x4, the question I have is that I have a 3" lift kit on it. Is it alright to use a truck with a lift kit?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is it really a lift or just keys?

3. Schrodare

Schrodare Junior Member

It made by Rough Country it a real lift kit

4. m2low

m2low Member

the more lift you get the better chance of wrecking the frame... even stock vehicles could damage the frame if something is hit. Think about the frame of the plow and where it meets the frame of your truck (hinge point). now when you hit a curb with the plow down, the plow will push againts the hinge point on the truck. if the hinge point on the truck was even with the frame (which even stock vehicles are not) it would push straight back on the frame, which would be hard to bend - now think about that frame lifted up, and your plow way down there (exageration say a 2 foot lift). When you hit that same curb the plow will apply pressure pulling down on the frame instead of straight back into the frame. this would be easier to bend the frame cause of the leverage of the plow mount. a 3 inch lift should be fine, wouldn't worry to much about it, but its something to think about, and maybe plow a little more careful with inkown debris underneath so you don't slam into anything.

5. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

You should be just fine. I plowed for years with a Ful sized Blazer with 4" of lift and 33" tires on it. You just ned to lengthen your lift chain.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Rough country 3" lift uses no cross member drop components so you'll have no interference issues as far as mounting the plow components but depending on what plow your going to use you may very well likely need some plow mount mods anyway to get the correct plow height. Just depends on the plow choice and how high over stock the truck is to begin with.

7. Schrodare

Schrodare Junior Member

Awesome thanks for the advice lads