1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift kit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nepmgmt, Dec 11, 2005.

1. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i am just starting in the business and have bin reading a lot of usful info from this site.i have read that you should adjust your suspension with a plow. i was wondering if by putting a lift kit on your truck not a crazy 6 inch lift a 2 to 4 inch lift would help with the nose of the truck siting low and with a v box spreader in the back not sagging cuz i hate the way it looks when it sags.
    if there are other things that will help with this problem could u let me know as i am new to this business. thanks james
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

A lift kit will throw off your plows "attack angle", and would not necessarily help sagging unless you beefed it up some. With a lift kit you may even need to modify a plow mount to get the angle to be right. A lift kit is NOT a soultion to sagging. Weight in the bed (a v box like you mentioned) or just anything you can use for ballest will help you. You should look into Timbren Load boosters (google them you will get their website). This will reduce sag substancially. It would also be helpful to know what kind of truck and size plow we are talking about here.
  3. Rgory

Rgory Member

From what I have read in other posts on this site is that lift kit springs tend to be softer than other springs to help with the off-roading that they are ussually used for. If anything I would start with a set of timbrens or possibly a stiffer spring. There are lots of pros and cons to each but it is all up to how much plowing you will be doing.

My general view would be to steer clear of a lift kit.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree... Lift kits are for off roading, you need stiffer ones to carry the load.
    But, what type of truck are we talking about?
  5. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

thanks for your feed back. i would have thought that the lift kit would be stiffer. i am probably going to be getting a 1997 ford f250/350 with the diesel. i would be looking at a blizzard 810. what is the biggest strait blade you would put on that size truck. i was also looking at a v box spreader and i was surfing the web and fould a side wing like the big dot trucks have. anyone used one before worth the money and can you use it with the v box spreader. i will look at the timbins. i have seen them mentioned before. are they really going to help or is there something better. thanks again James
  6. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

In the 80's lift kits may as well have not been built with springs, they had no "spring" at all, because the springs were so stiff. In the '90s people wised up and made lift springs extra-soft for added flex. best route is airbags with an onboard compressor to help with the load. Timbrens are just a cheaper, simpler alternative. of coarse, simple means less to go wrong. -Phillip
  7. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i am glade i didn't go that way then cuz i though they were hard but it does make sense that they would be soft. is a 97 250 with the 7.3 litter diesel to big for drives and is it big anufe for lots. with a plow how big would you get and a v box any brands i should stay away from. i was looking around and saw that the hydraulic sander seemed to better b ut with that truck no central hydraulics but swenson makes a sander with the hydraulics all in one anyone have it, how does it work. i am thinking anding some leaf springs in the back and in the front timbies or getting air bags any thoughts. thanks james
  8. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

any thoughts on this
  9. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

With a diesel, you biggest problem is going to be weight on your front axle. Your payload is reduced too. You should figure out the weight of the plow and V-box, don't forget the weight of sand & salt. Blizzard claims 950 lbs for the 810. Add about 1000 lbs just for the v-box, then the salt and you are way into one ton dually territory. I would not bother getting a 250 and go for the 350. On a single rear wheel, you will be over the axle ratings in the front and the GVWR loaded. It looks like the FAWR is 5000, RAWR is about 6000 and GVWR is 9000. I was playing around with Quickmatch on Western's website. 350, srw, plow pkg (5000lb axle) reg cab with diesel.
  10. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

If you are buying I'd stay as far away from gasoline trucks as you can. A diesel F250 or 350 with a standard cab/long bed is a great size for plowing. My first truck when I was 16 was gasoline. Even with the 360 I built for it, it's nothing compared to a good diesel. Plus, resale is MUCH better. Go diesel, no matter what else you do. -Phillip
  11. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

Ya i was going deisel i love the sound and power. the derability is great to better gas millage and every thing.im 16 and just starting as i said before so i am looking at geting insurace. i dont think they will give it to me but if i go threw my mom would i still be protected im not shure how it works. i am looking at a v box sander or should i go with the tail gate spreader. what size plow 8 or 9 if thats not 2 big. wont to do both res and comercal