1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift kit on wrangler w/Sno-way??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by CJPlow, Sep 6, 2007.

1. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

I was thinking on putting a small lift on my 99 wrangler. I will also be plowing with this vehicle at the start of the season. Has anyone done this with any success? I was only looking to put a small 2" suspension lift so i can easily fit some 31" Tires. Any pics or info would greatly help. Thanks!!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do you have a snoway plow already?

If so you just need the proper Rubicon kit. It is designed to work on the mildly lifted Wranglers

3. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I had a 2.5" lift and 33's on my 98 TJ(pics in sig) with no modifications to the plow and it worked great.....I didn't have a snow way though it had a western suburbanite, but same idea. rubicon kit as he said is what i've heard suggested many times as they are a tad higher stock....so it works. even without the rubi kit i would think you were ok unless the mechanics of the sno way are that much different.

4. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

I will be getting the sno-way setup. I like the downpressure option. I know the westerns work with the lifted vehicle we have a dodge ram thats lifted and it works great. I think the reson for the snoway having problems is the downpressure is only ment to go so far down. I guess is screws with the angle plowing as well.

5. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 2" budget boost, with an extra 3/4" spacer on the front of my 05 TJ. i am running 32x11.50 tires and have a SNoway MT 7'6". The little jeep plows great.

I added AirLift bags to the front to keep the suspension from bottoming out with the plow on. You may want to do that to.

In the spring, when I take off the hardtop - I also remove the plow mount, since it gets in the way offroading.... I have it down to about 15 minutes.

I also have my winch on the front and it doesnt interfere with the plow, even raised up.

Here is a pic before the lift.... I only plowed twice after I had the lift on. The only thing I had to do was put a block of wood under the foot when taking the plow off. The angle of the front frame of the plow wasnt too excessive, and it seemed to plow fine - I only do a few driveways though.

[​IMG]

Front suspension setup with airbag that only "hits" when the plow is on.

[​IMG]

As it sits now - just didnt take any pics with the plow on after the lift yet....

[​IMG]

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Making the down pressure work right is one of the reasons for maintaining proper pin centers. on the wrangler it's 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches. Get above that and the angle geometry doesn't work right, you lose down pressure and proper float range.

TJThorson love the stencils My lead tech has a 1944 GPW (jeep made by ford) it's getting repainted right now then he plans to stencil it. He's tracked the Jeeps military history (England, Normandy, Denmark, L.A., PA, and now Hockessin) and has it proper designations. My iron's a little newer 1961 drive train with a 1964 225 V6 power plant with pto drive winch on a CJ5 frame and body. She's a Kaiser, also have a for sale (too many toys) 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando with the removable pick up top.

7. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

TJ Thanks for the great info and picks what you did is what i was planning to do. I really want to stay away from doing a body lift, auto w/ AC not easy. Where's that damn button when you need it. LOL! So you havent had any problems with the downpressure? Worst case scenario i can have my buddy make a 2" spacer for me to drop everything back down where it needs to be. Knowing what the frame looks like is that possible to do on the frame and just get new grade 8 bolts?

8. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not sure how you would drop it down. There are two big triangle shaped brackets on each side, that mount on the side of the frame up high, on the bottom of the frame about a foot back, and use the front two bottom bumper bolts.

If you recreated those two big side brackets, you could probably drop the frame down.

I am not sure if the downpressure has gotten out of whack or not with the lift. I usually dont use it - for the driveways I do, the plow weight is usually sufficient, even with the poly scraper. It wont help you too much now - but obviously I will know more this winter. :D

Sorry i cant be of much more help.

9. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

thats cool i will soon find out myself LOL . I just got my 2" budget boost with front coil air bags new header back exhaust and my 255/75R17 tires with cragar soft 8 rims. Couldnt find a cheap set of rubicons so i made my own for cheaper none the less. I will keep everyone posted!

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 03 1500dodge last season w/ a 3.5" lift. The blade sat 11" from the ground and plowed just fine at strait angles. As soon as you were at full left or right the opposite side of the plow would raise 1" due to the incresed plowing angle of the blade. Never fixed the ploblem just learned only to turn the blade 75%left or right.

This is a common ploblem with lifted trucks. For anyone who has a new set up on a lifted jeep or other truck check it out before the snow hits. This issue is magnified with un enven ashphalt or hilly locations. Keep in mind if you are using the shoes or on gravel you won't notice this issue as much.

A simple fix would be adding some flat stock and lowering the main cross member to achieve the proper geometry.

DAFF

11. larry newman

larry newman Member

Basher,

Please describe specifically what you mean by pin center height.

I'll probably mount new tires on my new plow Wrangler, probably Blizzak or Nokian, and this will help my determine the exact size I need...narrow but large diameter, without going over the pin height.

Also, why is there no spot for tire discussion on this site, which seems to have thought of everything else pertaining to snow removal...??

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use the search feature at the top right of page, below the banners. Search under tires there are a lot of them. everybody raves about Coopers and Nokians.