1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Kit for a 1979 Chevy K5 Blazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jbholley, Sep 7, 2003.

1. jbholley

jbholley Junior Member

Im wanting to put a suspension lift under my 1979 K5 Blazer. I have never done this before. I am wondering if there is a company out there that has everything in a lift kit that i will need to do it, without buying extra stuff. I dont know what else I need so im wanting a kit with everything i need.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

There are many companies who make the kits,and many different ways to go about it.

If your just looking for a small amount of lift,then do a body lift.Or even a body lift,with a small suspension lift will give you lots of room for bigger tires.

Do a search here on Plowsite,as it has been discussed a lot for GM trucks

Another good site to check out would be www.coloradoK5.com

Lots of good info on K5 lifts and modifications.

3. jbholley

jbholley Junior Member

Thank You im only wanting to go about 3 inches so i can go with 33 x 12.50 tires without doing any cutting. I dont really like the looks of a body lift but dont really know all i need for a suspension lift.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Check out colorado k 5. excellent site

Shackle flips for the rear are also popular for 4" of lift and they leave the rear nice and flexy plus you can then reuse your rear springs if they are in good shape.

ORD's zero rate ada leafs are also a option for 1" of suspention lift.

suspention lifts arnt that bad if you have some time and a place to do things. I would recomend swaping to 3/4 ton stuff while you are at it for gearing and a bit of beef. dana 44 and a 14 bolt in the back.

5. jbholley

jbholley Junior Member

alright call me an idiot but i just noticed I have leaf springs in front and back. Would the add-a-leaf kit give me enough clearance to go from 31 x 10.50 to a 33 x 12.50.:dizzy: :dizzy:

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The add-a-leaf should give you enough to run 33's.I had 32X11.50's on my Jimmy,with just the add-a-leafs,and there is still room to go bigger.

7. jbholley

jbholley Junior Member

i believe i would have enough room at the top of the fender im just worried about clearing the front and back of the fender when turning. Did you have ne problems with this.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I had no problems with the 32X11.5's,and there looked to be lots of clearance.If you do get any rubbing,it will be minor,nothing a little trimming or a hammer won't fix :D

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I ran 32's stock. If you run wide 33's you might need to do a bit of clerancing becuse you might stuff the tires durring articulation.

add a leafs will make it ride a bit stiffer

0 rate add a leafes from ORD will give you an 1" but not make it stiffer.