1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift it...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 5, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

does anyone know where I can get some details on tuning up my tosion bars on a 2000 1500 Silverado. I didn't find much doing a search on here or the internet for this vehicle.
  2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Park on level ground. Measure from ground to lower edge of front fender or flare (if so equipped) make note of height. Jack up front of truck, letting the suspension on both sides sag with tire off the ground. Get an 18mm socket (I think it's 18mm). Locate your torsion bolts, located inside the front frame crossmember. Put a mark on your socket, and a mark on your crossmember. Line these marks up and start turning, counting 1 turn for each time the two marks line up. I would start off with 3 turns, then drop the truck off the jack. Bounce it a round a few times and maybe take for a quick ride. Measure again. Want to go higher? Repeat the steps above. When your satisfied with the ride height, take a look at your control arms and CV joints to make sure they are not at too great an angle. If they are, back down a turn or two.

Good luck! :drinkup:
  3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

It probably goes without saying but in the interest of safety I will say it anyway.

5. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Actually it's a 19 MM socket. Other than that, you are on the right path. I have never heard of taking the front wheels off the ground. I always did it with the truck sitting flat on the ground. I bet your way would make turning the bolts a hell of alot easier though. I'll try that next time.
  6. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Thanks everyone. As soon as the weather gets a bit better, I'll take care of this.

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good link ctfan. WFD - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!! :nod:
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

There is alot of stress on those bolts! At the least i would jack up the truck. I tend to go for the 100% right way of doing things though. Get the tool that takes the pressyre off the bolts. You may even be able to rent it at the parts store. it looks like a C clamp deal. Also dont rais e the front of your truck by more than 1.5"-2"
  9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

The body company did mine one guy put a tape measure buy the wheel well other guy ran them up with impact wrench.