1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Gate

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sectlandscaping, Dec 23, 2012.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I bought a truck with a lift gate. It was real weak would barely go up and down. When I got it low enough I top it off with fluid but couldnt get it to go up. The solenoid is working the pump is going but doesnt seem to have enough power.

I couldnt figure out how to pull the pump off. So I took the whole lift gate off. Now I kinda want to fix it and put it back on but dont know where to start.

If I brought the whole lift gate to a alternator/starter rebuild place would they dissemble and rebuild the motor?

Or could the problem be a piston or something else mechanical?

2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Have yOu checked the fluid level you say pump is working, does it have something to pump?

3. sectlandscaping

Yes i did. I had to lower it half way to access the pump and I filled it. Then when I got it all the way to the ground it wouldnt go up. I pretty much had to stand on it and hold the button down for it to move.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Could be a couple of things. Weak battery, bad connections at battery or lift gate, bad power cable between battery and lift gate, bad motor, weak pump pressure or a bad ground.

5. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Get a new motor..
    Amazingly, they will run weakly until they finally die.

6. sectlandscaping

Thats what I was thinking.

Any idea how to remove it? It looks like this. This guy couldnt figure it out either and cut it out. That bolt in the middle is a valve.
    [​IMG]

7. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

No bolts on the under side? Is it welded on? Otherwise, pry it off and replace. :laughing:

8. sectlandscaping

I think the reservoir might be welded on. When i tried pulling thats the side that stayed put. If it is thats pretty stupid. How do they expect repairs to be made?