1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift cylinder won't push down

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by gwhalen3, Mar 18, 2013.

1. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Just like the title says, the damn thing will not push down by hand in float mode to take plow off or attach. It is greased and operates as should except when you need to push it down to loosen the chains. Any suggestions? I dread the insane struggle every time I need to attach the plow. Not a fan of the system anyway. Not everyone lives on a parking lot. My drives are dirt.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Loosen the hose to the lift cylinder and see it goes down. If yes take the valve out for that function and see if the screen is clogged. If so contact snowdogg and they will let you how to check the lift ram date. Most likely packing material brroke down and you need a new lift cylinder.

If it doesn't go down with a loosened hose. Try jumping on it to get it down. Call snowdogg and they will check the above stuff again.

What year is the plow?

3. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Ill give that a go at the end of the season... The cylinder functions fine except being able to push it all the way down by hand to loosen the chains. It is 2012 bought in nov. 2011. It's basically new since we only had one event in 2012 and 5 so far in 2013. Right around 60 hrs. of run time. Maybe a little more. Thanks

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

With it being a 2011 it should have a good lift ram in it depending on when it was built. The lift ram has a date code on it. After you have that call snowdogg to check on it.

5. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

put it in float then turn off the key..... it'll go down then..... if i drop it and then turn off controller it does not stay in float all the time...

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine used to be a bear to get down when it was new last season. I found crossing the chains as I pulled down was the trick. This season it has been easy Im assuming because of the increased use.

7. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

That's what I figured out as well. Thanks for the input. Like you said, it's getting easier with more use. But yanking on the chains works good for now.