1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift cylinder replacement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nymustang50, Jan 27, 2016.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

What is the procedure for replacing the lift cylinder on a western unimount plow? I've looked but haven't found anything showing me how. Mines pitted and is leaking.

2. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

Remove chains from lift arm, remove bolt holding lift arm to ram, flip lift arm backwards toward truck, remove packing nut, pull ram out of hydraulic unit, make sure circlip is on the bottom of new ram and install new packing (oiled) from top matching the order of the old packing, slide ram into hydraulic unit, slide packing nut down ram and tighten up to a 1/4 turn after you feel the nut contact the packing, reassemble the rest of the parts in reverse order.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Uni lift Rams are unique in that they have a "propeller" style gland nut seal. The tighter the nut the tighter the seal. So as they age you can sinche them up a bit at a time. All the other rams have "lip" seals. You torque them down once and then leave them alone.
    They are also unique because the lift ram housing is integrated into the pump housing so you can only replace the piston and packing assembly.
    These Rams are notorious for pitting and then the jagged edges of the pits chew the seal / packing causing them to leak out oil and draw moisture into the oil.
  4. nymustang50

Perfect. I'm glad its as easy as I thought.
  5. nymustang50

I knew all that, I just wanted to make sure the way to disassemble and reassemble it was what I thought.
  6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

What else would you need to replace on the lift ram Mishnick?

I see this as a good thing: easy to replace, and inexpensive. I've only replaced one ram and seal once in 7 years on my two Uni's.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I suppose the integrated ram has advantages. What I don't like about them is the packing seal. People don't realize they can and need to be adjusted occasionally. I know that these is aromatics are still sold with new heavy weight model plows