1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift cylinder question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gcsupraman, Oct 9, 2004.

1. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Fellow plowsite members,

I just purchased a brand new Fisher OEM lift cylinder to replace the original one from 1989 that was getting a little tired. The problem that I am having is that the cylinder is VERY hard to push down. I removed the line to the cylinder and even jumping up and down on the lift arm would not compress the cylinder.

Does a new cylinder have to "break in"? I can't believe it is this difficult to compress!

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes when I do installs I find new ones can be quite difficult to move the first time. Here is what I do.
    1 spray shaft with wd40 where it goes into main body of cyl.

2 insert a rod ( I use old shock rods) through hole in base.

3 insert rod through hole in shaft end.

4 stand it on floor hold bottom with feet pull up on shaft end.

Sometimes they are so dry and stuck I have to tap with hammer to get it started. Also check packing nut
    on top of cyl. to see if it is too tight.

Hope this helps you. Works for me.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Dave is right on with the packing nut,the packings inside have sat so long they are dry,loosen the packing nut and rub the cylinder with hydraulic fluid or ATF and run the plow up and down several times,then tighten the packing nut untill it is snug,then 1/4 turn further,to tight and it will be hard to push down.
  4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I loosened the nut, and put ATF on the cylinder, tightened it back per your instructions and it works like a charm now!

I can't belive it made that much of a difference - before it wouldn't even go all the way down with the plow pulling it down.

Thank you

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes those parts just sit and dry out,they just need a little lube is all,glad it worked out for ya,good luck with it.