1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift cylinder problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bcf, Aug 22, 2005.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Hey guys I'm having soem problems with my plow. A few montha ago when I was moving it, the solenoid went, and not having a spare I just unchained it and left the lift cylinder up. I replaced the solenoid last night, and got the plwo to angle every way it needs to, but when I float it to completely push the cylinder down, I cannot. I needed my bobcat to finish it. There is some rust and pitting around the bottom of the lift cyclinder. Does this sound like a new cylinder and some other parts might fix it? I't a unimount, about 4-5 years old. I sold my old plow truck to my buddy, so I already have to get a new mount for the new pickup. Might I be better off buying a new plow? Thanks guys.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

More than likely the packing seal has dried out, keep spraying ti with a penetrating oil to help soften it back up. As for the lift cylinder its self, depending on how bad its pitted you can take some emery colth to clean it up or you can replace it if you think its bad enough. A lift cylinder that really pitted will end up tearing up the packing seal and cause it to leak in the future.

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

pitting problem

Wel, there is just about one continuous ring of pitting, with another ring totalling about half way around. So another lift cylinder and packing seal willhopefully solve the prob? Are they hard to replace? Guess it would be a good time to flush the system when I change 'em. Thanks.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Loosen the packing nut and put it in float and push it down.
    Put some ATF, or plow oil on the piston to lube the seal before it goes back in.
    Run it up and down a few times to work the oil into the packing seal.
    Then tighten the packing nut back up until it stops leaking.

Pitting on the ram will eventually destroy the seal, but I have seen some with minor pitting that don't leak much in a season.

The packing seal is like a rope under the nut and it can dry out over time.

5. Crash935

Mebes, they did away with the rope seal years ago, they are all plastic now.

bcf, replacing the packing and lift cylinder goes one of 2 ways, easy or hard. If your lucky it will go easy, using a large wrech, loosen the packing nut fully, once you have it fully unthreaded lift the lift cylinder out of the case, reinstall new parts (if your lucky). If the packing nut doesnt want to come loose (remember, you dont want to brake the case, very expensive to replace) you may have to extend the lift cylinder to the raise position, cut it off just above the packing nut with a saw, drive the remaining part down into the case, gently cut the packing nut into 3 pieces (be careful of the threads in the case side) remove the 3 pieces, check the threads and then install the new pieces.

Good luck!

6. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

I would seriously consider replacing it though. This is not something you want to deal with at 3am on February 3rd. Clean up the ram with emery cloth and replace the seal at least. Now is the best time for it... :)

7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

replacement

Well I ordered a plunger kit, washer and pakcing and wiping kit from J Thomas. I'm assming the plunger kit(1 1/2" x6") isn't the whole lift cylinder. If not, is it the same size as the two angle cylinders?

8. Crash935

The lift cylinder is a different size than the turn cylinders. Sounds like you ordered everything you need. Wishing you luck on having the nut come loose, had to replace more than a few that didnt come loose so i know what your up against.

9. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Got the parts but...

...The lift cylinder has surface rust on every inch of it. Can I just emery cloth it off, or should I return it for a replacement.

10. Crash935

Call the dealer you got it from and let them know its covered with surface rust and that you are going to try the emery cloth and ask if that doesnt work can you still return it, unless you in not much of a hurry and dont mind waiting for a replacement to show up.

And as i sit here thinking about it, you must have gotten an aftermarket rod, i have never seen a new rod from western with any rust on it even after it sat awhile, and you might just want to get a replacement, rust usually breeds rust.

11. bcf

bcf Senior Member