1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift cylinder leaking?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bubba377, Jan 29, 2012.

1. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

my lift cylinder is leaking .can someone give me the part #s and tell me where I can order the parts (online) to fix this before it gets any worse! thank you in advance

plow is a pro plus 7.5 unimount

how hard is it to replace this part?

the only western plow dealer is about a hour drive away

2. 03sd

03sd Member

Have you tried to tighten the nut on top? If not give it a try might stop leaking.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

you need the ram, and the packing kit. make sure you get the packing kit with the ram nut seal as well.
    they are not that hard to change as long as the nut comes off.
    you need a BIG wrench (i use an adjustable one myself) a pick tool (for the nut seal) wire brush (to clean the inside of the nut, and seal boss) 1-1/16 1-1/18 wrenches 1/4 allen for the lift ran bleader screw. and if you have a fluid sucker for the fluid at the bottom of the lift ram seat once you get it out.
  4. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

also, if the lift piston is rust pitted, you will need to replace it. otherwise it will chew up the newly installed seals and wiper ring. part numbers can be found on westerns website under parts posters.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Here are the "OE" Western part numbers for what you need to repair the leaking lift cylinder.
    PLUNGER KIT 1-1/2 X 6
    Your local Western dealer should have the parts you need to get up and going.
    :rolleyes: John...
  7. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

i order all my parts from http://www.angelos-supplies.com ...as matter of fact just did this. lift ram is like 40 and then buy packing nut seals...mine was all pitted like yours and kept eating my seals and getting my fluid nasty to where it would clog the filter. something i did notice though when reinstalling...once u put all packing and ram in...you will have to take something like a punch and tap them on down into the pump or you will not be able to start the main nut. just an fyi i learned the hard way.