1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift cylinder leaking, Question?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Williams Ex Co, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Williams Ex Co

Williams Ex Co Junior Member
    from Iowa

I have a Boss Vplow that has developed a slight leak from one of the lift cylinders. Its coming from the brass plug that I believe is the vent. Am I correct to assume that the seals on the piston are shot and allowing the oil to bypass and then the upstroke on the piston is forcing it out the vent? Any specialized tools needed to disassemble the cylinder? Thanks in advance!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct. And if the vent isn't at the top flip the rams over so they are. The very early RT2's came with them basically upside down placing the vent on the bottom before they realized that wasn't a good idea.

Yes, so if you want to attempt a re-seal take it down to your local hydro shop and have them do it. But on a plow this old don't be surprised if it's only a temporarily repair, the well worn bore tends to tear up the new seals fairly quickly which is why I don't bother re-sealing them any more, rather simply replace it with a complete new ram assembly.

3. Williams Ex Co

from Iowa

B&B... Thanks for the reply. The vents are on the bottom so I'll flip the cylinders over, thanks for the tip. I'll give the local hydro shop a shot at it as he has always been good to me and straight forward in regards to what he can fix and what is beyond repair. Are new cylinders even available for a unit this old? Thanks again!!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New ones are still easily obtainable under Boss p/n HYD01680. Seal kit for it is p/n HYD03727 if you're going that route.

5. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I agree with B&B, our hotels old plow truck fought this problem tearing new seals up...Sadly, your farther ahead to replace the ram and move on.

6. Williams Ex Co

from Iowa

Ok... You folks are swaying my line of thought on this.... Order, wait for UPS to show, less than an hour to swap out... Or I could pull it out and wait for it to be rebuilt. While it snows.... NOT! I am unaware of any Boss Dealer near me in Iowa. Can I order parts from this website? Thanks!

7. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Go to bossplow.com., there is a dealer locator section there, put in your zip code and your local dealers will pop up.

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I guess u could order right from ESI, they have a little link that shows up on the pages every so often

9. Williams Ex Co

from Iowa

Went to Boss.com.... Forgot that the Bobcat dealer I get my equipment from is a dealer. Im calling as soon as they open up for the day! Thanks guys!!!