1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift cyl going to high

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wwf, Jan 19, 2003.

1. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

hi all
    i posted a few days ago about my plow would go down
    which sparked some funny comments......well i took the
    new packing nut out and what is happening is the cyl
    that has a thick washer like ring to hold it in the bore
    is not doing its job i guess it goes a bit to far and cocks a bit and wont go back in.
    i am now wondering if this unit was taken apart and missing a
    washer or somthing along with the ring on bottom
    its a old fisher cable op el/hyd unit

thanks

2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It sounds like you've got the cylinder opened up. If so, check the inside bore for a wear ring at the top. This would also cause the conditions you describe. The ring itself could be worn too as you mentioned. In either case, it would probably be easier to replace the cylinder rather than repair it. They don't cost that much, and the piece of mind would be worth it.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a plow mounted electric hydraulic,then the cyl housing is an integral part of the hyd unit.Even if the cyl bore is worn a bit,you should still be able to use it as long as it doesn't leak.I don't think your problem is in the cylinder,if you have everything as described below,it should be fine.

Under the packing nut,you should have wiper,packing seal,and then a thick washer.On the bottom of the ram there should be a retaining ring or circlip that holds it in place.Do you have both the thick washer and the retaining ring ? Maybe one is missing ?

You may also have a badly worn lift arm assy,which is allowing the whole thing to slide around and **** the cyl in it's bore.It could also be that something is bent or loose,like the upper mounting tower.One other thing to check is that both the upper cyl mounting point,and the base mounting lug,are not excessivly worn,siezed or sticking.The power unit and cyl must be able to rotate in the mounts,and keep everything in the same plane,otherwise it will put excessive side pressure on the ram.

5. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

going to high

hi and thanks to all who replyed

it looks like i have all parts but the washer
    although it isnt listed in the parts.
    is it a steel washer?
    whats to stop the retainer ring from pushing
    through the packing? which is whats happening to
    mine the it cocks a little and wont go back in the bore
    without loosening the packing nut and straitning out the
    piston. unless the bore is that bad but i didnt see any
    bad scrapes. is there a way to shorten the stroke a little?

thanks

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The large washer should be there to stop it from pushing through the packing I think.There is also another ring in there somewhere (under the wiper ?) that stops it as well.Been a long time since I had one open,so I don't remember for sure.

Even so,the piston shouldn't really **** to one side on it's own,unless the washer,packing or wiper is bent ? Maybe the packing nut is not going in straight.I would still tend to believe something is out of alignment or binding there.I would try it with the lift arm disconnected and see.If it still goes up and angles at the top,then you have an internal problem.

7. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

too high

i had to replace the nut and packing last year
    and did'nt see any washer and none were with the new
    packing unless it was plastic??
    maybe i'll try to make a washer for it

thanks

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want to get the washer the part number is 91167 if you have a 1 1/2" ram.Washer should go between the packing and the circlip.

9. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

too high

thankyou sir for all your help
    i will try to take it back apart this week