1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift chains?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Nov 20, 2006.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i have an older boss 8.2 V with the lift chains and while i was driving around with the plow on i got alittle paranoid about about the chains coming off and started wondering if the chains are supposed to be run from the front or back of the lift. i have mine run from the back but it looks like the previous guy pounded down the chain locks and ran the chains from the front:confused:

2. terrapro

from MI

nothin :confused:

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm not familer with the Boss- try posting in the Boss plow section.
    Personally I have never seen a lift chain come off on it's own- either carrying on highway or plowing. my dump runs and old Speedcast.

4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I think we used to run them from the front to the back. It was a long time ago, but thats how I remember doing them.

5. BobC

BobC Senior Member

As memory serves me I went front to back on both Myers and Western. Never had one unhook even if they bounced up when trucks hit bumps was more concerned that hey could snap.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Terrapro,Since you said it's and older Boss with lift chains then you must have an RT1.The lift chains should go front to back.In fact I think you have a better chance of them slipping off if you run them back to front.

7. terrapro

from MI

yeah i was thinking they should probably be hooked coming from the front but then i was concerned about them possibly breaking from the extra stress of being wrapped around another peice of metal :dizzy:

i might take a few pics when i mount it back up.....

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just wondering,Are the chain slot's on the lift arm wore out? Is that why your concerned about the chain's slipping off?

9. terrapro

from MI

nope, when the plows lifted it doesnt really look as if the chains are secure

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I use to tyrap the chain in on the older fisher, before the minute mounts. I have had the chain come off one time but that was enough.

11. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Simple solution for all "Chain Lift" plows.... Insert a bolt & nut's thru the chain in an offset style. This will act as a "stop" if the chain should actually come out of the slot.