1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift chain

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Mar 1, 2012.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 8 foot mm2 plow.I just picked up 8 foot mm1 off craigslist that I'm in the process of restoring then going to sell it.What I noticed is the my minute mount 2 has a bigger chain then the mm1 which would of make sense. I took a look at my dads brand new mm2 straight blade and it looks like the chain is smaller,about the same size as the mm1 but not as long.I think I'm going to take the mm1 chain off and replace it with a new one while I have it off.What I would like to know is what size and how long of a chain I would need to replace it? If the mm1 old chain can be used on my mm2?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The size of the chain will not be related to MM1/MM2. If anything, the MM2 likely comes with a smaller chain to save weight and money. However, a longer/heavier blade - 9 foot HD vs. 7.5 LD for example - might warrant a heavier chain.

Regardless, I would use a piece of 5/16.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Here is the info I got from Fisher Directly when I was restoring my MM1 8' HD - see pics of it in my thread. I also have a new Chain from Fisher and a MM2 lift triangle laying around I'd sell.

4. chevyzrule810

not seeing a thread

5. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

the reason for the longer chain on the mm1 is because you need to leave about 2 feet of chain hanging off to the drivers side so you are able to chain it up if your pump quits and you are not able to lift the blade. where on the MM2 you are able to chain it up on the lift arm so no hang off is needed.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I just get them cut at home depot the chain is rated for like 3 k and u are using it double so whatever u get is over kill anyway. Not cheap either but sure does look nice,

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Chevy - search this Fisher Forum "restoration" and my thread will pop up. I'm on my phone or i'd post up a link.

8. chevyzrule810

I saw your restoration pictures plowguy.I'm going to take a link off the mm1 chain and bring it to lowes and get some new chain and replace it with new chain.Nice its going to brand new paint job and it doesn't make sense to put an old rusty chain back on.Then I will take the old chain off the mm1 and put it on mm2 and hold on to the chain that is on my mm2 plow now.

9. chevyzrule810

10. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

i use grade 30 3/8