1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift chain

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by searay220, Mar 2, 2011.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

:cool:Was wondering how often the lift chain on the plow should be replaced. I don't want to wait until something happens in the middle of the night during a blizzard. You know what I mean.
    When they are replaced is there a certain size and type chain you need to buy or will the Home Depot chain be fine?

2. billy2455

billy2455 Junior Member

i bought 5/16" chain at lowes for 25-30 bucks it was a tow chain in a bag with ends. It was a higher grade and cheaper than buying it by the foot and then used the leftover for a short tow chain to use when I was done.

3. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a lot of wear between the links.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

When it looks like it will break change it, otherwise give it a once over with your regular plow inspections.

Original chain on my 1996 plow, and still original chains on my 1986 speedcaster. It's usually the hook or ring that attaches the chain to the lift arm that wears out.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have never heard of one breaking but im sure it has happened before. if it looks really worn i would replace it just to be on the safe side