1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift chain u-bolts

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Sep 10, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I was doing a little maintenance on my plow today and ended up breaking both u-bolts that hold the lift chain to the A-frame. I've been searching online and can't seem to find replacements anywhere (unless I buy the lift chain kit x2).

Does anyone know of a source for these little suckers?

2. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Go to a western dealer or tractor supply company or home depot or lowes

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Mcmaster. Com

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use four nuts on each u-bolt when you put the new ones on.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Four nuts are not necessary if you use nylock nuts like what comes with a new plow. You should be able to find the clamps at any local hardware store.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My experience with a one year old Fisher Dealer installed plow disagrees with that statement.

If you don't want to spend an extra buck for four nuts, this is the wrong business for you.

8. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Isn't their only suppose to be one U bolt that holds the chain to the A frame of the plow.

9. mishnick

There are two chains and a U bolt for each chain on all the Westerns I have ever built or serviced and yes... they all have one nut on them from the factory. It's not an issue of not having the cash for a second nut, it's an issue of using the correct engineering as determined by the people who designed it. If you don't have locking nuts then I can see "making due" by jaming two normal nuts on. But lets be realistic, you don't put two wheel nuts on every stud for the wheels of your car do you? You experience with the one year old Fisher is clearly an isolated experience. I have used the single nylock nuts on hundreds of plows over the years and never had one come loose. But suit yourself and use three nuts if it make you feel better.

10. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

On my plow their is one chain that lifts the plow. That chain bolts to the A frame using the one U bolt on the bottom. On top it just connects to the lift arm using the chain to connect it. The chain has extra links but their is not two chains on my plow should their be.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  11. mishnick

On the unimount plows there was a single chain. That is correct for older models. Not sure when they stopped making them but all the Ultra mounts now have two chains.

12. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have anything big enough. I finally found a mom & pop hardware store open on a Sunday and they had 3/8" wire rope clamps that had the proper size u-bolts (I bought 6 of 'em so I have some spares).

I wondered about the double-nuts but ended up just using nylock's. If they loosen up or give me any other trouble I'll rethink the situation.

13. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up MishNick and good luck MarkEagleUSA.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

"Isolated experiences" was the life story of that plow....Dozens of them.