1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift chain spring

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by wils5150, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

I have a mm1 and would like to set it up with a spring cable for the float mood like the mm2. any idea of how to do this? Thanks
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That's funny to me, its the first thing we removed (or did not install) on our MM2s. I have seen people add the springjust using the chain loop in the MM1 setup. A little fabbing required for the lower mouning point. Another option would be to swap out the lift triangle for the MM2 one.
  3. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

how come you remove yours
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The spring is only on there so that the lift cylinder collapses completely when the plow is lowered, which is the first step in removing the plow... If you don't collapse the cylinder, there's no slack in the lift chain...good luck getting the plow back on the truck. Alot of guys who struggled with mounting MM1 plows don't know that collapsing the cylinder is the first step. The spring was put on the MM2 just for those guys... it serves no other purpose.

I've removed them for guys because with the cylinder completely collapsed every time the plow is lowered, it takes a split second longer for the plow to lift, which can make you that much more likely to do lawn damage when pushing snow onto grassy areas.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I use a rubber tie-down strap to pull my headgear down on my plow when removing to collapse it.

I too am contemplating adding the spring to mine as with my central hydro system I have to hold the lever down to get it to stay in float when plowing. Basically the spring would help pull it down faster so that I don't have to keep holding my hydro lever so that it floats when plowing a run.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a MM2 Triangle (yellow) that was originally on my XBlade that I removed to put the silver one on if anyone is interested.
  7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Cubicinches summed it up. I didn't like the cylinder being all the way down. At the end of the run it takes just another second to lift plow. Add that up in a large lot and its time. It can also result in a lot of curbs struck or grass peeled.

Its an extra piece that Fisher added to what I would consider a great system. In many ways it along with the single lever was unecessary. Overall I think the MM1 frame of angle steel is better then the tube steel (rust) of the MM2. So I just left it off the MM2 and have done the same at other peoples request when I did the install.

We know to collapse the cylinder when dismounting plow. Me and a guy mount / dismount all our 4 Fisher in 10 mins and most of that time is spent hopping between trucks.
  8. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

thanks everyone. I think I may just leave it be for now.
  9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

willy did you get my private message?
  10. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

yup just read it
  11. demoderbydave

demoderbydave Junior Member

I also would like to find a cable/spring set up to adapt to my MM1 to "automatically" float it prior to removing it. If someone has the oem set up "gathering dust" and doen't want an arm and leg for it let me know...
  12. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

The spring and cable also keeps the head gear from falling too far backwards and possibly into the vehicle when backing away from plow during removal, the MM1's had a place to secure the excess lift chain preventing the slack in the lift chain from A-arm to lift arm from allowing the head gear to fall too far backwards.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The spring and cable actually makes the plow MORE likely to slam into the hood when backing out of the plow. With all that slack in the lift chain there is nothing preventing the headgear from moving backwards.

The spring does off one advantage when plowing.

Without the spring: Put the plow in float, blade drops to ground and the lift arm stays semi-elevated. If you angle the blade during the push you are no longer in float. If the surface drops down the plow will stay suspended.

With the spring: Put the plow in float, blade drops to the ground, and the spring pulls the lift arm all the way down. Now there is plenty of slack in the chain so even if you angle the blade the blade can still drop down into a dip.

Overall, I prefered the spring off. As mentioned, the extra time to take the slack out of the chain can mean the differenece between rolling sod up or not.

Or, you could buy a direct lift plow and not worry about it all........
  14. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

Weird cus when i angle my blade it always stays in float till i hit the raise button.
  15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Mine stays in float too. I have a fsh stick though. I don't like my spring cause it makes bumping the plow up tough. Going to take it off this spring and fit something on the plow to keep tue head gear from falling backwards.
  16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

on westerns it will come out of float as you are angling it but as soon as you let off of the angle button it will return to float, I assume it is the same on fischers.