1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift chain slack?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Storsy23, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

I was looking at my plow (bored) and noticed that there is slack in the lift chain when it is lowered all the way. Is this how it is supposed to be due the float option so it has room to go up and down with the contour of the pavement? i guess now when i think about it when i am plowing when i press raise it does take a few moment after i press the raise button for it to actually raise. Should i tighten it up or just leave it the way it is?

2. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

leave it alone

3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

if you take the slack out of the chain, then you wont be able to rock the headgear forward to remove the plow.

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Mine was too tight from the dealer. The lift cylinder was only coming up 7inches from a 12inch cylinder!! I lengthened it a bit. Plus, if it is too tight and you do not plow even ground, there will be times your plow won't even touch!!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to leave the slack in the chain so the blade will stay on the ground when the blade drops into a dip or when you crest over a hill. The delay is another disadvantage to the chain lift system.

6. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

If you don't like the delay in the lift.. You could always take the cable and spring off..(have done this per customer request).. But remember to collapse the piston when taking the plow off.. or you will have a heck of a time getting it back on..

7. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

That's only on mm2's. Plus I think its a slick featuré

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Delay all of 2 seconds...

9. plowinginma

from MA

Not a MM2 why is there a delay then?? Slack??? if thats the case then he has other issues.. I suppose I just assumed that it was a MM2 I guess..LOL

10. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

yeah its a new mm2 7 1/2 straight blade.. ive gotten use to the 1 second delay (taking slack out of chain) than lifting..

11. plowinginma

from MA

well here is your answer.. I could not have said it better...

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do that a few hundred times a night, it adds up. But the bigger problem is when you need to lift the blade slightly at the end of the run but want to keep pushing across the grass. That delay can mean the difference between laying sod for free in May or not.

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats why I like direct lift:D

14. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

alrite im getting mixed answers here... so does any one else who has a fisher have this split second delay while the slack is being taken out? is this just how fishers are? id still rather have chain cause man can i stack those banks high ;)

o and one more thing the plowmeister i want your setup its nice looking i think ive seen it on youtube pretty much driving to the top of the bank like 15 feet high? ll

15. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

With a chain lift you will have a delay while the slack is being taken out of the chain. Nothing you can really do about it. I personally don't have a problem with it. But, I have always run a Fisher, so it is second nature for me to think ahead and when to lift the plow.

16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Dont listen to 2COR, he isnt a true Mainer; he doesnt even like Fishers :cry:

But try this, when the plow hits the ground, just take your finger off the button..

17. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Then it wont be in float :dizzy:

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

True... I am not a big fan of reading, I just enjoy posting my opinion.

19. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

no shame in that

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ahh, the dilemma of the chain lift rears it's ugly head:laughing::laughing: