1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift chain failure

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by niko, Mar 9, 2013.

1. niko

niko Junior Member

not the chain itself just the connection at the bottom to the frame. anyone else had this happen on an md. the chain itself looks a little banged up too. did a quick fix with a couple of quick links mid storm

047.jpg

052.jpg

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's the attachment point for the chain? Yikes. A better way could easily be fabbed up.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The attachment point is the 2 holes ahead of that. You can see where the chain was rubbing. Probably just a horseshoe bolt.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The bolts on the ubolt (horseshoe bolt) probably backed out. Just get another one and your good to go.

My Fishers attached the same way as does my VX95. Just check to make sure they are tight as part of preventative maintenance.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I see it. Stills seems a little weak. Two u-bolts would be better. Like Fisher.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The MD is a lightweight plow, so not surprised this happened.

To me, it's a step above a homeowner plow, and step below a commercial blade.

My HD plow has two points for the chain, not one.

So it's another issue of maybe having to light of plow for the work it is performing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If a hose blows, you can short chain it. If the chain pops, can you short hose it?

8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

LOl short hose it Best thing I heard all day :laughing:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you, thank you very much.

I'll be here all week........

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I was pushing a new lot the other night and stacking over older piles when about the eighth push the plow dropped over. I thought that was odd. Anyways I tried to back up and the truck just spun in reverse. I was like really, I'm stuck but it didn't feel like I was "stuck". I get out and look and I was thinking WTF...... where did that guardrail come from?

Yep, that's right, i'm stuck and the cutting edge is over the rail. Feeling rather embarrassed, I tried to lift it but that wasn't a be. I tried everything I can think of to do by myself, nothing worked and I was too embarrassed make a phone call......then I had an epiphany, I will short chain and give that a shot.

Well it worked and I lived to plow another event.

11. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

smart man Thumbs Up :nod:

12. niko

niko Junior Member

well not exactly
    i think it's up for what i'm doing with it, we'll see what i think after a few seasons with it

031.jpg

033.jpg

13. White Gardens

Just go some place like Fastenal or a hardware store and buy a grade 8 U bolt to replace it.

People say they use the MD plow to do commercial work, but looking at the differences between the MD and HD, I was a little hesitant so that's why I went with the HD. Moldboard height was my biggest deciding factor along with some other things.

But, sometimes for driveways I feel the HD is over-kill, but I wanted a small back-up to my big truck so I went with the HD.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

2 shows daily?

15. niko

niko Junior Member

i was on the fence with the md being too light duty. but my latest truck is a tundra and the md was the reccomended model. i only do driveways so i figured a lighter duty plow would get it done. all in all it's been pretty good to me this season, it handled a few large storms well and stacked snow well even with the low moldboard

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the forecast is for 4"........

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't over-tighten the next one. The chains banged up from were it was pinched between the Aframe and Ubolt. Having it that tight is un-necessary as it doesn't allow the bottom link to move. I'd bet it fractured internally when tightened, use a hand not a power tool when you replace it to prevent that from happening again.

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:laughing:

19. White Gardens

Ditto on that,

Or......

You can find a longer u-bolt and bolt it from the bottom and top, basically double nutting it. This way it will keep the "U" in a static position.

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Excellent!

Next time leave the stacking for loaders, that's what they're there for.

Personally, if I caught one of my guys stacking snow over top of old piles, they wouldn't be able to sit for a week. Although, constipation would not be an issue for them.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: