1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift chain adjustment

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by k&j Landscaping, Jan 5, 2012.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

From signature I have a 7.6 poly pro. I have chains set with 8 links loose from the top where chain links connect in. Where do you western owners have yours set at? I have quite a few aprons with big dips so i keep mine loose. What is the proper adjustment setting for these? I've read manuals and install instructions but just curious what everyone else runs for lift chain adjustment.

2. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Not sure how many links I have. I have mine adjusted so that it will ride as high as possible and also low enough that I can take it off without changing the number of links. I've got a mvp so I like it to ride as high as possible.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western instructions are to put the plow down on a flat concrete floor and then put the control in float so that you can push the lift arm to the bottom. Then put the chain in the tightest link you can get it in. The hooks on the end of the lift arm are designed to force you to put the appropriate amount of slack in the chain so that it will follow typical contours in the road.

4. k&j Landscaping

mishnick, i read that but it does not make sense to me. Wouldn't that keep the blade from going all the way to the ground or not be able to drop all the way in float mode. Do you have a photo.

5. mishnick

Have no photo with me but can elaborate. When you put the blade on the floor it is down all the way right... Now when you put the chain in the tightes link possible it goes up and over the slack hooks. When the chain falls to the bottom of the groove it creates quite a bit of slack. That actually puts a bit more than one inch of slack in the chain. Since the chain is more than half way back from the cutting edge to the lift pivot point the actual drop will be more than twice the slack of the chain or more than two inches. The blade will not be held off the ground over a dip as long as the controller is in float mode. That is when the green light is on (on the hand held controller)

6. k&j Landscaping

So tomorrow, i go out, hook the plow up, put in float mode and push the lift ram all the way down, pull the chains as tight as possible, attach to lift arm, lift blade, then drop and will be all set now?

7. mishnick

That is correct. Just make sure you are on level ground if you don't have a nice flat concrete floor to do it.