1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lift chain adjustment on Wester Straight blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frozen001, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The other day I did a driveway I had not done before, and it has a small/short incline right at the entrance. Well it was steep enough that when my blade bottomed out on the ram, it still was not low enough to touch the drive way. well I got out and adjusted the chain some and got it to drop far enough to finish. Well I got to thinking on what exactly is the proper method for adjusting the chain so I looked it up in my manual, and found this:

Does this make any since. If I do what it says to do my A frame will with out a doubt touch the lift frame... What gives am I crazy.. :dizzy: or was the guy at western off his rocker when he wrote this...

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would think this is wrong. It would not allow for any extra down position. I would leave the ram up a couple of inches and then put the chain on. Western plows tend to ride high when in transport so I would think this wouldn't be of concern.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

That was my thought on this, but as for westerns being high in transport, I know that if I put my blade full up, and full angle it, it will not have much clearance, and that is with the a frame touching the lift frame, and that is with about 2" of slack in the chain...