1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lift arm stupidity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by finnegan, Nov 16, 2000.

1. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

this is probably the stupidest questions one of my guys(who will remain nameless) suggested that we drill an extra hole in the lift arms to increase our blade heights,I told him that it would place more strain on the pumps because of the angle..who's correct?

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

What kind of plow are you talking about. All of mine have chains that you can adjust for height. The Meyers have 2 holes to choose from in the arm that the chain attaches to that the lift cylinder lifts. This changes the angle that the pump is pushing against and it comes from the factory like that so it can't be that bad for the pump. Especially considering its Meyers. I just adjust the chain on the Fisher. Why do you need to get the blade that much higher than the factory specs anyway?

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The front hole on the Meyer lift arm is for the set up with the engine mounted pump, like on the old Dodge Sno Commanders. Just a lift piston up front, no pump. The hole closer to the "back" is where the E-47 and E-60 get mounted. It will lift the blade higher.

The Meyer owner's manual calls for this set up. If you have one, go read it, and you will see what I am talking about.

For some reason, most Meyers I see are in the front hole, with the E-47, and E-60, go figure.... Mine is mounted in the back hole. I moved it right after I bought my truck, it was in the dront one before.

~Chuck

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

In thoery, you want a hydraulic cylinder pushing the load at as close to a 90° angle to the load as possible. Most cylinders are mounted that way in all applications, not just snow plows.

~Chuck

5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

finnegan, both you and your guy are correct.

Mount in back and it'll lift higher (limited by cylinder contact with the light rack) Mount it forward and it'll have more lifting force and theorically strain the pump less.

When I ran Meyers, I modified my front rack by lowering the lower support angle all the way down and installing a 12" lift cylinder (central hydraulics) This allowed for radically more lift range and plenty of lift force for lifting the plow while engaged in a snow pile.

6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

On the Meyers E-47 pump, the pump relief valve is set at 1650 psi. That means if the resistance of the load exceeds that amount, the lift cylider will stop getting fluid, because it will flow through the relief valve instead. This is to prevent pump damage.

I have moved 2 plows at the same time before with mine, and it lifted the 2 blades together with ease. I got tired of hand trucking them around the yard, and figured out a way to bolt the lift chains together. I'd pull up with mine, and drop it onto the other, right behind the moldboard, onto the A frame. Then bolt the lift chains together. Lift both, and drive the 30' to the back of the yard with them. I wouldn't drive down the road like this, but it was easier than hand trucking the blades across the grass.

~Chuck

7. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

thanks for the info chuck

2plows at the same time
    as always, you da man chuck!