1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lifespan of a 350 TBI

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 10 gauge, Mar 6, 2004.

1. 10 gauge

10 gauge Junior Member

i was wondering what is the average life span of a 350 TBI ?? ive heard as much as 250,000 miles. i have a 94 1500 2 wd w/ 3.73 gears and has 103,000 miles. i just put a intake manifold gasket in it and from what i hear that is really the only weak spot in those motors. the truck is in really nice shape and i hope to get alot more miles out of it. thanks for your info :D

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Keep driving. Since I own an automotive repair shop, I can tell you we are commonly servicing many of these trucks with over 200K on them. Leaking intakes are a common problem, but once fixed are usually good for another 100K. I have a commercial customer approaching 400K with the original engine. Good preventative maintenance goes a long way.

3. 10 gauge

10 gauge Junior Member

thats pretty much alot of what ive heard. 400,000 damn thats alot of miles hope mine gos that far

4. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

JMR .. i think i remeber you sayin you make about 50k a year on plowin and your own your a repair shop to? how do you do it?

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

My shop is a 9 bay facility with 4 full time technicians and a service writer. Snow plowing compliments my business and makes a nice additional income source, but is less than 3% of our revenue. Additionally that is gross revenue before expenses 4 trucks. I enjoying plowing and my position, being mostly administrative allows me time out of the shop to do such. During a 6" or better storm business at the shop is usually about 1/4 - 1/2 of a normal day, therefore we pickup the slack by pushing snow. We try to have most of our plowing done before 8 - 9 am. Occasional slow days gives us time to keep the trucks in good mechanical condition.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  6. tjhbob

tjhbob Junior Member

My TBI

I/we have an 87 Blazer K5 wTBI etc. ... It has 180,263 actual miles. Bought new, in 87. Right now it has been disabled for a couple years, I was leaving the house one day in 2003, it died would not start. finally had it diagnosed to be the ignition module in the distributor. it starts now will not idle/run. I'm looking here to find out why, can't afford to have it fixed at todays' prices. :dizzy:

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It will last a long time but all depends on maintance. Did the intake gasket on the '94 Blazer a few months ago. Since everything was apart I changed the original water pump, AC compressor, hoses, etc etc. Just finished changing the differential fluids etc. This weekend changing all u-joints. Truck has 107K & went 18 hours non stop with the '06 blizzard.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Youch! You picked a two year old 'dead thread' to tie into... but lets see if we can help.

We really need more info on what it is doing. Is it cranking, firing, then dying as soon as you release the key? Just never catching? Idling for a moment then dying out? Does it keep running with throttle?

Common problems besides the ignition module tend to be fuel pump and filter. Is it still full of 3 year old fuel, or fresh? If someone cranks the engine, is there a strong flow of fuel squirting into the throttle body?

We need more information.

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If it runs rough -(if it never ran properly after the module installed check that the plug wires are in the proper firing order if this is good--spray some carb cleaner around tbi and see if it races--if so you have a vac leak in this area--sometimes the base gasket dries out on the tbi--good luck and welcome!

10. MSC

MSC Member

Another thing you might want to look into is the EGR Valve, it may be stuck.
    This will also give a poor idle condition.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 90 K5 with 185k and starts all the time. oil is at 40psi at idle and blows no blue smoke.Keep the oil clean and injector cleaner at every oil change and she will run for a very long time.

12. My family has had a few TBI 350s w/ around 200K. I got a "summer toy" '91 w/ 276K and still runs great! My plowtruck '89 original 350 "was put to sleep" w/ 230K after I was forced to run w/ coolant in the oil (nno back-up truck)...but ran fin until then. My brothers '88 blazer had 188K w/ no problems. Great, simple, engines in my mind....