1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Life Of A Front End

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Exciteable, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

What's the "average" life of a front end on your truck(s) that are used for commercial plowing ?
    I'm talking like ball joints, pittman arms, tie rods, etc.
    Last truck I had before my current one was a 1996 Ram 2500 5.9. Had to do ball joints, etc at about 80,000 miles if I remember correctly.
    Currently running a 2001 2500 Ram with Boss 8'....42,000 miles and no problems yet.

2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I think that all depends on how well the truck is maintaned. If it gets the proper attention, then it will last alot longer then a front end that has gotten no care what so ever.

William

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

unless it's a Ford which the ball joints suck on. replaced mine at about 33,000 miles. didn't get much plowing in last year either.

4. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

My front end is still like new.....oh wait. The truck only has 6500 miles on it.
    Sorry.... :eek:

Seriously, I too have heard a few bad things about the Ford front ends.
    Hopefully that's changed. You'll prob. get to about 45-50k miles before you need to do anything major, as long as you're doing all the maintenance that it needs before that.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Pete i was doing all matainance. still only got 33k hoping this time around they actually last.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

50k on my 03 2500HD with a fisher 9.5' V Not a whole lots snow plowing though in the past few seasons :mad:

I think 4x4 launches with boost and cutting mid high 1.6 60's on N2O may be hard on the front end too? :dizzy: :D She has held up fine *knock on wood*

7. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

front end

My buddy and I both have the identical truck..'03 F-250 supercab, 5.4...8'mm2.
    I got one full year and half of another.Truck had 34k on it, and I had to get new ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar and end links..Then two weeks later my buddies went also...wouldnt you know, same thing and same parts swapped out..

8. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

How much is a repair like that? Will it happen if the truck is just driven and has not had any plows or anything on the front end? The reason i ask is i am in the process of buying a new (to me) ford 250-350. Prolly with 50-60 thousand miles, diesel... just wondering what to expect. Thanks

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

F350 have always had solid front axles.

10. c.t. lawn care

ok... thanks... i knew that though... not trying to sound mean. Is there something that you are trying to tell me by saying that the 350 has always has solid front axles, or were you not even talk to me? Thanks

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

you were asking how much to fix something that happend with a ttb and used 250-350. so i was just letting you know the 350 has always had solid front axle.

12. c.t. lawn care

No... i was asking how much it would cost to replace that on a 350... but i guess the solid front axles dont have ball joints?

13. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yes they do have ball joints. sorry thought you were thinking it had the ttb.

14. c.t. lawn care

ok.. well do they tend to go out as quick as the ttb front end?

15. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

the new trucks seem to not be as good but the older ones dont seem to have a big problm with ball joints. but the ttb has more than just ball joints as a problm espcecailly with a plow hanging of the front. if you plan to put plow on dont get a truck with a ttb front end.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you can wrench the stuff yourself you can replace ball joints and stuff cheap. Mine lasted 30k on an old F-250. It cost me $450 to replace all the U joints,seals,rotors,brakes,ball joints ,wheel bearings and machine shop work! The truck did over 120 hours of bill-able plowing each year and was a daily driver too!
    It had all the tie rods and such replaced 4 years ago and still is tight to this day!