1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Life expectancy of a plow truck (1/2-1 tons)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by orange toys, Jan 4, 2010.

1. orange toys

orange toys Member

title says it all. what do you guys all think the answer is?

2. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Their is isnt an answer depends on operator care plowing style and maintence

3. orange toys

orange toys Member

just for the average operator

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I think you have to define between owner/operator or a fleet truck. I have had trucks with minimal issues that only I plowed that were 7-9 years old. We have fleet trucks that are beat after 4, but they work all year besides...........

5. orange toys

orange toys Member

my truck would qualify under the owner/operator

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck and what kind of equipment? My truck will last 10 years easily.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hard to say. plowing beats them up pretty bad. but theres just too many factors besides plowing.

adding a salter, that takes its toll if your doing alot of salting. how much driving and what kind is it doing in the off season.? miles? im sure you could keep a plow truck 20 years with just standard issues, but that would be no other driving during the off season.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you take care of it, ( the plow) and if it is of any quality, not a cheap plow, I would say an average of 10 to 15 years. Now with that will come changing cutting edges, fluids, and other various parts, but just take care of it, and they last quite a long time. I am running 1-8 foot and 1-9 foot plow now that are 11 years old each, and haven't had to do anything to them at all, but change fluids, and paint them to keep them looking nice.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I just sold a 1988 GMC last year that is still plowing. Since new it was strictly a plow truck and never drove in the summer. It only had 53,000 when I sold it. But it was over 20 years old.

I have a 1998 now and and after this year it is done, but will last a couple more years for someone just starting out.

10. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I have a 92 chevy 1/2 ton, it pulls mowers in the summer, plows in the winter, salts in the winter, delivers firewood in the fall. 221K and going, needs some exhaust work and a new spedo senser. I cant replace it for the cost of the few yearly repairs it needs.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Should last 10 years with proper care.
    I never go more then 5 before I trade for newer

12. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

mine will last me as long as i say so, it works year round, and plays a little to. I break it I fix it.
    if its making me good money, then its a keeper. if it aint broke dont fix it, I say.. LOL !!!