1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

License To Spread Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowMatt13, Oct 2, 2009.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

McHenry County IL (where I grew up and now I work in that county) is looking to become a pioneer by requiring any applicators of salt or de-icing products to be licensed. I heard about this a few weeks ago, just saw the article written in the APWA magazine and they are looking into implementing it by next winter (2010-11).
    You would have to take a class and pass a written test (similar to getting a pesticide license) and if you passed you would get a certificate and some type of identification for your vehicle. The county will use an ordinance they pass to enforce it with fines for non-licensed applicators.
    I was part of the 1st class in the county to take the class and test today to see if this is something that they would be interested in doing.
    There is an issue with water contamination with chlorides all over the midwest and at they explained rate they are going, it does not look good. The main purpose of the class and license is to teach sensible salting, proper application procedures, proper storage techniques, and liquid applications and guidelines.
    I for one thought it was good. Actually enforcing such a thing...not sure how that would all work out.
    Your thoughts and opinions..........

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. SnowMatt13

looks like this is going to be everywhere.
    i know they are doing this in minnesota...or trying to get this going at least

4. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

interesting only time will tell if this makes it in my area??

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Another creative way to generate revenue. Unfortunately it will not accomplish much more than that.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Our state, county and city are the worst abusers of these chemicles/minerals. The reason for it becoming a problem is that the government both local and state, apply salt like it is free. The commercail companies will take it in the rear, while everyone else goes on as business as usual.

7. SnowMatt13

Amen dlcs.
    I work for a small muni in McHenry County.
    Last year, because of pricing we cut our order by 2/3. We did not have the budget to afford 100% of our order. We did have to mix.
    However, because of the extent of our liquid program I was able to make that 1/3 last the entire season and in my opinion never compromised the condition of the roads.
    However, the county and state still spread it like it was going out of style......
    one storm in particular I remember where I thought the county road was still white....it was, but with salt kernals.......

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The bridges over the Rock River here in Northwest Illinois gets coated with brine, everytime snow is in the 36hr forcast. The run off automatically goes in the river. Lots of wasted applications. The Illinois tollway salts the freeways for frost just about every morning. We have some intersections that you could literally plow the salt off of them. I could go on and on about this but....

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Another revenue generated law with zero enforcement.

10. SnowMatt13

Sure, because they are going to charge XX dollars to take the class and the test.
    Weather it gets enforced.......at least they made their money up front.
    I still agree with the concept, I think that people should be accountable.
    I've talked to too many state and other drivers who just want their shift to end after a snow...how does it end sooner?? Salt the crap out of the road.
    An educated driver would know to trust the material he is putting down to do its job.
    Same with while it's snowing. You need to put something down to prevent the bond from forming, you don't need to empty your truck every time you complete your route.

Example: When I first started where I work I was told, when you are done with your route, your truck should be empty (8 tons)
    Now with a liquid program, computerized application equipment, I do a larger route with and average of 2.5-3 tons.
    Multiply that times events, times trucks you have, it does work.
    BUT, your operators have to know how and when to apply.

11. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Sounds alot like the fertilizer regs my county passed. All l/c businesses have to take the class or they can't renew their business license, but get this... County agencies, golf courses and sod farms are all EXEMPT!!!! Just another case of the legit business getting hammered while the worst offenders don't have to worry about a thing!!

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly, otherwise known as a "TAX".:realmad: