1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

license question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastcarz3, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

im thinking of adding a cat front wheel loader to the fleet. a cat 966 to be exact im wondering if theres any license that needs to be required to operate it in a closed parking lot.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Thats one big A$$ heavyweight of a machine. I wouldnt be putting just anyone in that seat. JMO

3. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

In Ohio you don't need any special license but if you are not familiar w/ loaders than a 966 might not be the best option.

4. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

we have a 10acre lot where the snow has to be piled in one specific spot all the way in a back corner. ive had expierence with the bobcats and backhoes is this that much harder to operate

5. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

It is not harder to operate but there is just a lot more machine there than a bobcat. Also I think that a 966 is way overkill for a 10 acre lot. We have 10 acre lot that we plow with a truck and 1 skidloader w/ a 10' box.

6. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

you think its really overkill? what size machine you think would get the job done and be practical? i dont think a truck n a bobcat would cut it

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

A 966 is a pavement breaker. Don't they weigh about 50,000lbs? It's way too heavy..............once the thaw happens you'll be destroying their pavement. If it's wide open, get a 2 to 2.5 yard machine w/16' pusher.

8. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

the guy that i used to have sub for me when the snow was to much for the truck itself would come in with a 996 still would take him 3 or 4hrs. dont get me wrong guys im open to all ideas and other equipment just saw this one locally thought instead of subing out id handel the whole property myself. i like the idea of the skisteer bc i could get use outta it in the off season. big push how long does it take you to do your lot with the truck n skid?

9. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

If you have to move all the snow to one corner of the lot you will need a decent size machine especially if you have to have the spots open by a certian time. Most of the big lots around here are done by 2 large, local, excavation companys (one of which I work for) the smallest they use is a 938. Mostly 950s-980s And we have never had a problem.

10. fastcarz3

fastcarz3 Member

i like the idea of the skid. i know ive gotten off the license topic now but does anyone have expierence with using a skid on large lots? i wonder if i used 2 trucks with 8.5, and 9' plows and a skid if thats doable. is a 10' box the largest a skid could handel or could it accept a 12'?

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I suppose you could use the 966 if it's wide open, and you need to put all the snow to one spot. wesport Just get them to agree to a disclaimer............you don't want to be responsible for the integrity of the pavement. We've damaged pavement with a W-24 once it thawed.

I would use something bigger than a skid. IMHO skid steers are not the preferred loader in an open lot. They are a niche machine better suited for areas other than the wide open spaces. A 10' pusher is pushing the limits with any real or heavy accumulation.

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

In colorado, if you use self propelled machinery off your own property for commercial gain, you have to get what's called a SMM plate (special mobile machinery) (or you can get it as a sticker also)

It's as expensive as a car (which isn't cheap here)

Outrageous:angry:. if 25% of my competetors have the plates, I'd be shocked. Total crap.

BTW, think about that definition for a second, that includes riding lawn mowers, the next one of those I see with a SMM will be the first

13. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Fastcars the 10 acre lot that I was talking about has a 1" trigger and we never stop plowing until the snow stops falling. The skidloader is a cat 246 (2-speed) w/ a 10' protech box and we are able to stack snow in mutiple locations. The skid loader can move alot snow for the investment

14. digit

digit Member

We do 10 acres of asphalt with a loader equipped with 20' pusher and a skid steer with a 10' pusher probably 4-5 piles and it takes approx. 4 hours on 2-3inch snow. If your pushing everything to one area I don't believe thats overkill. You will be glad for it if you get a 20" storm like we had on valentines day 07.
    As far as license I don't believe you need any as long as you keep it in the same parking lot.

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

a few years ago i was going to buy a small loader for loading supplies and debris but never did. while i was researching the legalities i found that i would need an operators license if i was working for someone else but if i was the owner of the company i would not need to be licensed.

16. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

What about a smaller loader and a off-road dump. Haul the snow back, dump it and pile it as the dump piles get spread out. As for as the license,you are on private property while in the lot. If the loader is on the road that would be different.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008