1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

License Plate for Agriculture Tractor?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmboy52787, Nov 26, 2009.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

I am renting a TS135A New Holland tractor from a farmer to do some commercial plowing around my location in Maine. I will have a 9 foot snowwing on it. Since the owner of the tractor uses it for agriculture only, will I have to get a license plate for it, if I'm using it for plowing during snow storms? But what are the chances the police would pull me over for it? The owner of the tractor tried contacting the State but didnt really get anywhere. And they asked him if he paid sales tax, which he didnt because he's exempt for agriculture. Any input will be helpful. Thanks
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

you should be able to get the orange triangles and be good to go. I think you can drive on the street with them up to 5 miles from a to b.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So you know the laws in Maine living in Pa? We can drive our tractors 1000 miles on the road and still be legal but I have no idea about the laws in Maine. I'm sure he's fine but all he has to do is go to a license office and ask them. Not many places need plates for SMV but I don't live there.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

here in Colo you need plates for a self- propelled vehicle doing commercial work off your own property.
    It's basically proof you paid your taxes.

It's not cheap.
    And they get you for all the sales tax, and up to 5 years back tax (or the date you purchased it)
    So, the first year was ridiculous and now ti's about $500/year per tractor.

The fine is double the tax if you get caught.

Just thought that might cheer you up. :laughing:
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would call the DMV and ask them. I think you are supposed to have a plate. Especially where you are using it commercially. There is also an inspection required for some tractors, I believe it's weight related. One of the dealers drove a JD 624 across the street to fuel up and received a healthy ticket.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Does it have farmer plates on it from the guy you're renting from?
    I'd assume you need something, here farmers plates or equipment in transit plates would be the thing to have, and god forbid you go without. Would take the county/muni cops here about 30 seconds to nail you, and have your unregistered and untagged vehicle towed, and empty half their ticket book in the process......
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That depends JD, if that 1000 miles brings you into Quebec it will need to be plated. No idea about Manitoba. :laughing:
    Can you travel 1000 miles north and still be in Ontario?

Its like JD said, you have to find out what the laws are for your state.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure? What happens if I'm just passing through? You never know when I might take the JD for tour across Canada.
  9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Honestly I have no idea, but you can drive 1037 miles in Ontario if you go from Kingston to a place called East Pen Island ( north - west corner of Hudson Bay. ) :salute:
  10. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I agree with with JD make a call to find out. Although Maine has some very strick outdoor laws their DOT law have been somewhat relaxed and cheaper than most states. Thats why you see alot of trailer reg. with maine tags. While you have them on the phone as what the width requirement is. Thats the new thing around here that they seem to be stuck on this year.
  11. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

I think you are clear through Manitoba/Saskatchewan/Alberta, all the way to BC, then I'm not sure. Let me know when you are coming through, I'll bring you a Case-IH hat...
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for looking that up fot me Paul and I'll take the CaseIH hat Joe it's the CNH hat I won't wear.
  13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Anyone have any knowledge about the MA and NH laws on this?
  14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Try your state DOT website. Or contact the state police.
  15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

local DMV would know too...
  16. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

New Hampshire is just a simple Construction vehicle plate, just need a bill of sale brought to your town hall and it cost around $50 to do it.
    I didnt register my tractor last year but I just got the new T4030 and will register that because of how much bigger it is compared to the T2420 I had.
  17. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

haha get this.

Last winter I was plowing the sidewalk of one of the bridges from Ottawa to Gatinau Quebec. Quebec does the road Ottawa does the sidewalk for that specific bridge. I was strongly warned that it was risky business because the cops will even go after city of ottawa plows doing that one sidewalk as they do not have license plates! Also, in quebec blue lights are police ONLY so you better turn it off when you hit the border. :mad: