1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Licence plates???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sonicblue2003, Nov 24, 2006.

1. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

I know in Ontario that you can get a ticket for obstructed plates on the front and/or rear of your vehicle. My question or comment ,as it may be,why don't the manufacturers of plows and salters provide a bracket to mount your plates on there product so you can abide by the law.
    I'm sure most ,if not all, states and provinces require your plates to be viewable. This is something that I have always wondered about. I made a bracket for my plow and when I hook on to the plow I put the plate on it.(I have a unimount so every thing comes off the truck)
    Same with the salter. I drilled a couple of holes in it and use self tappers.(your supposed to have a light on the rear also)
    I'm sure a proper supplied bracket would be more practical then a couple of zip ties that could break and cause you to lose your plate. And really what would it cost to throw in the box.
    What do you guys think about this. This may seem like a trivial matter but its a little pet peeve of mine.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Front plates are required here in NY, but I hate em, and don't usually have them on any of my cars. If I got a ticket for not having my front plate visible while I had the plow on, I would probably turn my truck around and push the cop car off the road.

Maybe put it up in yer dash.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Front license plates are required in Illinois, however local law enforcement could care less about it when the plates are obstructed by a snowplow. :)

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

In Ontario, on trucks, our front license plate has our stickers on it... so with a plow they can't see if we're valid or not.

I haven't had a problem yet, personally, but have considered doing something BEFOREHAND.

Maybe there's a universal bracket at Canadian Tire? Otherwise, hit the wreckers and find something suitable... but yeah, the manufacturers could probably make it very easy and just include a molded plastic one or something.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I work for a State ploice agency and my Lt. busted my stones last year for a salt spreader I have that goes in my hitch. Its a pretty laim thing to do but yes I had to rig a bracket and move the plate with a light and the hole 9 yards. He clearly has nothing to do.:salute: Most officer's could care less but its the select few who make it a PITA! I emailed Meyer's last year to see if they were even thinking about making a license plate bracket and it is a good idea but no one from Meyer's replied back, oh well I'm good to go. Mine is a very easy to install if you want some help.

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Toronto Ontario.

Why they don't do it. can't say. One of those things, that not everyone needs, so why do it at the factory. And I know alot of the tickets here. were just throw out at court.

Yes the plates can get a ticket, has never happened to us, Like you we move our plates up. What we do is you can get a trailer licence plate setup. they look like a upside down T. We bend them 90 degreess at the so that we can bolt them under the plow lights. and hook the plate to the rest. simple fix. two bolts when you attach and detach the plow.

And for the salters, Yeah you need a light, cause we do custom bumpers, we shift the plates to the left side, and put a light on them, so the salter doesn't block them.

This is what we bolt under the plow light, and attach the plate to. when they go on the truck. We bend the part in the picture that stands up to so that we put that under the light, and the rest faces the same.
    http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/371554.jpg
    We get them from Napa
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=GRO&PartNumber=43022&Description=License+Plate+Light+Mounting+Bracket

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  7. spruceridge

spruceridge Junior Member
    from cny

i have never had aproblem in the truck but got stopped once in the car for no front plate(took it off). simply told the state police " it was there last i knew" let me go and told me to get a new one (not going to happen, it's at home) i don't think it a big deal....

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I think i've heard (and not verified) that in some states a temporary/seasonal peice of work equipment that mounts to the truck can block a license plate in some areas without legal problems... since its not a permanent part of the truck... around here the cops don't care; your out there doing your job keeping things cleaned up and they don't bother ya round these parts... but, if a cop was havin a bad day and wanted to give ya hell for it, i'm sure they could find a ticket for ya maybe a fine or somethin... On that note I may make a license plate bracket with a light on my spreader, but we don't have front plates in Indiana so no worries with the plow...

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The way I heard what was happening here in toronto. think two years ago, a female cop, was pulling over plow trucks that had a blue light flashing. Which unless your city equipment or hired by city. You can't have a blue light going, it's registered to city equipment. So she would catch people for that. then the blocked plate on the front.
    I also heard she took a couple trucks over to a near by weight scale. CAtching a couple overloads. I can't speak for the Cop, or who she pulled over. or what condition the trucks were in. This was just hear say passed down the line.

But What I am getting at is. you May never get pulled over. 99% of cops may not care. it's that 1% and one time you do get pulled over. and find out it's a issue in your location.

10. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

You get your share of "Super-cops" everywhere.
    I know in Windsor they look for the plates.The biggest problem that we have here is ,we get a good snowfall and you see all kind of trucks around with plows on them that you never see any other time of the year.
    These guys have a plow truck in their backyard and decide to go out and make some quick cash. They throw a battery in it, take the plates off of their POS daily driver and go around town scamming people. No insurance,misuse of plates and a wide variety of other illegal stuff.
    With the plates visible the cops can punch up you tag and see if the plates are registered to the 1978 something or other or to the family K car. Even having your plate obstructed by snow is illegal. So at least if the up and ups show their plate/s, then the cops would have no reason to pull you over and waste your time.

11. BobC

BobC Senior Member

In response to the tailgate sanders that use hitch to mount and block plate what would the difference be if it was blocked by a trailer?

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

problem with moving your plate to your plow in Toronto is your plow is only one for a few days at a time, sometimes way less.

Seems like a pain to keep moving it around.

13. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

The trailer has a plate on it.

14. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

If a cop ever pulled me over for having the plow blocking my plate, im pretty sure I would flip out and he would have to arrest me. Im providing a service to the community and if he has time to hassel me about it, he needs to find a differnt job. Most of the time the back plates covered with snow also. Iv never been bothered about it, so hopefully it stays that way. Ok, I feel better now that I let some steam out. We need some snow, everybodys starting to get craby around here, lol

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

But in the case the trailer has it's own plates. that might make a difference?

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Do it a couple times. when your getting ready for that snow they are calling for. and it just becomes a natural step. It's normally two of us hooking the plows up. so while one guy moves the truck the other one is already putting the plate on.

17. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Yes the trailer has a plate but it doesn't ID the truck,what I was implying was it blocks the trucks plate just like a sander.

18. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

Heres another one in Ohio ypu cant move any thing down the highway over 8' 6" unless it is falged and it is day light. I think my 10' plow is wider than that angled?

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The truck plate is still visable from most angles with a trailer on- hence not obstructed. Plus the trailer plate DOES identify the owner/probable operator- it has to be registered to someone...

Since most plows are MM style they are not perminent parts of the truck and not legally considered obscuring the plate in most states. You're surely not going to get a 3rd plate to mount on the plow frame from your DMV and who on earth is going to remount the plate to the frame and back to the truck every time it get's mounted and dismounted?

If you run a sander that blocks the plow you need to remount the plate, but not usually a plow. Unless the cop's a stone buster he's not goint to bug you about driving a plow truck in a snow storm with snow blocking the plate, forget the fact that he doesn;t want to get out of the cruiser in the storm either!

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My front and back plate are blocked most of the winter. Law enforcement here could care less. But then again all my trucks are lettered so it would be easy for them to identify me.LOL