1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liablity insurance cost

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by flykelley, Jan 8, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Dear Group

I have a chance to pick up 4 jobs but they need to be salted.I called my insurance man and he quoted me 1300.00 a year for insurance. Is this in line with what you guys are paying.

Everyone I talk to around here says do not salt without insurance. At what point is this worth the money just to get 3-4 more jobs?
    Seems like I have to do alot of salting just to break even. The 4 jobs are three gas stations and one doctors office,the doc says salt when you have to,I need clean pavement.The gas station says call me when you think we need to salt and we will talk about it.

Regards Mike

P.S. My gut feeling is to turn them down and run
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I wouldn't even plow without insurance, never the less salt/sand. You know the saying sh*t happens. :nono:
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No insurance, No plowing.:nono:
  4. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Isn't insurance really expensive if you're putting the insurance on your 'personal' truck versus if you go through and say that you own a business and that plowing is a winter source of income. I thought I read that people had an easier time in people insuring them and with decent prices if they added it on to their business.

5. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

That was pretty well what we were charged for CGL for plowing then there is the matter of commercial insurance for your truck also, when my regular insurance company found out that I had installed a plow on my truck they dropped me like a hot snowball. The advice from our wise peers should not to be taken lightly, do not plow without insurance and the proper type or you may find that you are not covered by your regular company especially if you get a slip and fall claim. No insurance...No plow and no salt ..
  6. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

I pay 2300 for my CGL Insurance (Comprhensive General Liablity) That if the insurance that would cover your liablity when plowing or salting. Not if you run into a car with your truck, your commericial auto insurance covers that. The thing you should be worried about is the snow bank you plowed up out bt that bussy road. You know the one the kids next door started sliding down into the road. Thgen one gets hit by a car and one of the attorneys on TV name you in the million dollar wrongful death suit for piling the snow there. Can't happen, stranger things have. You also need coverage for the slips and falls. Once you start Ice control services you have definatly added a liablity. As far as is it worth it. Ice control has a huge profit pontential. I have a few accounts that require routine ice control. I make more money on that in less time and much less wear and tear then plowing yhere account every month.

Short answer Unless you can affoerd to loss everything you own Yes you need insurance. salt or not. 1300 is a good price for CGL. If you find the right salt accounts you will easily make more money salting then plowing. What are the right accounts, I do a hospital, nursing home, small power plant. Since the begining of this season I have plowed each 8-10 times and salted over 40 times.
  7. SRGreenleaf

SRGreenleaf Junior Member

Insurance pays off in the long run because it brings you more jobs along the way. We pay 900 or so per year and get great coverage.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

In our state if you do any work that changes what mother nature did you are responsible if someone is injured because of your work. So if you do not salt 100% and someone falls they will most likely get a judgement against you.

As far as getting sued. You can get sued if you dont break any rules or laws. The slimy attorneys have and are wrecking the country..... Shakespear is getting smarter all the time.

You cant even win the lotto with out some thief and a slimy attorney messing it up. Cleveland OHIO woman says she lost her lotto ticket... attorney sues to block payment of the winnings to ticket holder.

Shakespear you are one smart man !!!
  9. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

I don't want to touch the sanding and salting part of the business. Just plowing. I won't have the time to go back and forth in refilling my truck with sand or salt.