1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JBLAWN, Dec 15, 2003.

JBLAWN Junior Member

On cleaning a commercial lot you have it scraped clean, temps warm up and snow melts running to drain. Then it freezes up someone slip and falls . Now who is responsible and what is your extent of liability.
  2. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

We offer liquid de-icer application. If they choose not to use it, it is on them. Ultimately, the property owner is responsible for what happens on the property. What he chooses to do if someone is injured is up to him, but I don't think you would be at fault. It could rain on a clear lot and then freeze overnight, that isn't your fault. Its no different in the situation you propose.
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

First you should have liability issues covered in your contract, second did you push the snow uphill away from drain.Third do you salt . we wont do lots that the customer wont pay for salting.
    We go out quite a bit during the winter salting lots as a service after snowstorms , depending on the configuration and layout of the lot we sometimes have snow on the uphill sections , these lots require multible saltings. If you follow general industry standards and take reasonable steps you are not as liable. We post warning signs that snow and icy conditions may be present. (charge the customer for them) When a customer gets sued they will try and transfer responsibility to another party ( you the snowplow contractor) . Keep a record of conditions of the property , the amount of salt applied , when it was applied and who applied it, etc. We were a party to a lawsuit for a slip and fall , I arrived in court with an attorney and a pound of documentation, we prevailed , both myself and the shopping center ( the management company paid for my court and preperation time )