1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liability issues

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Nov 17, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

this past weekend we received about 3-6'' of snow. Now I have 8 commercial lots. Here the customers have a liability to keep there lots clear. Some people are telling me that I should not charge full price because the snow was gone the next couple of days..........My comment was It really doesnt matter. They need to be clear today. I have a job to do and that is keeping this place clean today not tomorrow or the next. Some people are calling me a thief taking money from this storm...What if it was January or December. Then is it ok to plow. Some people just dont get it......... :realmad: Now I really didnt even want to or expect to go out until I saw the town plows out working.......

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

do you have contracts? when are the dates the contract/s are valid from? If it lies within that date, oh well. If it doesn't, it could be an issue.

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

OK who was it calling you a thief. Was it your customers? If so do you have a contract with them in writing saying as when you would be plowing? If so show that to them and that is the end of the story in my book. If they continue say hey we live in a place where the weather could be sunny and 65 one day and snow the next. Pretty much how it was up there. Sort of. I am just doing my job as outlined. But I think once the look at the contract no problem. Now if it is other contractors then expect some phone calls from people that did not get service on that day. Just my .02. You did the right thing.

JP

4. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

i have contracts, but it was not an issue with customers. It was with other plow drivers and other people that dont even plow, making coments to me. My contract starts from nov 1st and ends the end of april.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Snow removed in a couple days? You need to get that snow off there NOW!

6. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

i think people didnt expect to see trucks plowing for such a minimal storm, so early this season. But being so early doesnt take away from the fact thet there is still plowing to be done.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

What's your trigger?

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'm confused as all heck. Were you customers, those with signed contracts, calling you a thief? Or, was it the people that were driving into the lots that had the problems. If that was the case, why get all your panties in a bunch? Seems as if you kept your customer/s happy and that is what counts. Chances are you wouldn't want any of them as customers cause there too cheap to pay for the ENTIRE season.

Put a positive spin on it. Any business owner with good sense would take your card cause you showed you were dependable and reliable this early in the season.

That movie "Sixth Sense" were the kid says something like "Dead people. I see dead people, they are everywhere." Well, replace dead with stupid and you'll have "Stupid people. I see stupid people, they are everywhere." That about sums up what you encountered that snowfall.

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Look at it this way. If someone were to slip and fall in a parking lot that was not plowed would they have a good case. It wasn't plowed because the snow was going to melt in a day or so. :eek: I've plowed 2" of snow that melted by the same afternoon. No complaints from my customers. I kept their lots safe for their customers. The liabilty is to great to not plow.

10. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

What happens "Today" is taken care of 'today'....I cant predict the future. If your under contract to provide a service as outlined in that contract, then you had better fulfill your obligation or face the jury. Pay no attention to the hecklers, whiny crybabys etc. their just mad :mad: because your cashing in and they are not :)

11. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

This has happened to me before. I have plowed snow early in the morning & it melted later that night or the next day. I have most contracts set on a 2" trigger. When 2" accumulates, I plow the account & get paid the specified amount in the contract. My customers appreciate this, because they know what would happen if the temps fell. The temperature in Missouri can fall just as easy as the can rise. You did the right thing.

12. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

my trigger is 2''. The problem was not with customers. It was with other drivers. All I was trying to say is that I am liable for these places when it snows reguardless if it is going to melt tomorrow.