1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liability, food for thought....

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

just had an interesting conversation with a lawyer friend of mine. he mentioned that with proper documentation (time,temp,conditions) you will come out fine in a slip and fall law suit, but the problem is the defense fees. sure you win the lawsuit but it will cost you 30K in fees for that win!:dizzy:
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

thats what your ins company is paid for, or atleast thats why i pay my insurance company.
  3. SilkKnitter

SilkKnitter Junior Member
    from ZONE 5

That 30K is much better then paying over a cool million for hot coffee.
  4. BGehl

BGehl Member

As terra said, thats why you have insurance. The frustrating thing about that is that one incident like that and your insurance may drop you. And you will likely be unable to find anyone else who would pick you up.
  5. ramblinman522

ramblinman522 Junior Member
    from ny

Yeah but insurance isn't cheap! I just found that out when I switched insurance carriers. I too live in NY and thought I was getting a great deal. After I switched I found out I wasn't! i was paying $1600 for my truck and $2,000 for GL! I now pay $650 for my truck and $1400 for GL!
  6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

thats why some states make complaintants pay all legal fees if they loose on these types of lawsuits!

counter sue for costs and wasted time!
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

With proper documentation most lawsuits are dropped before they go to court.
  9. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Well 30k is probably much more than having insurance would cost your friend
  10. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

If youre talking about the Mcdonalds case, you should look at the facts before you make a joke of it.
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Correct. Got notice from property manager of a slip and fall, (just an internal document for them) he works/lives over 100 miles away. I sent him our internal weather report which is our condition report and the support documents shows conditions all around town from several weather sources. (3 local channel and the NOAA report.) He finally replied to my e-mail in response to his and said thanks because we had 1/3" to 1/2" of freezing rain already down and rain falling and freezing on the surfaces everywhere at the time of this fall. Haven't even given to insurance agent yet, don't think it will get that far....it wsa terrible out. I personally was in a salt truck for 1.5 hours and didn't move except for sliding sideways, the other 3 salt trucks same boat.